torpesqueaky
Newly Registered

Help identifying pest - pepper plant leaves have huge holes

I went out this morning to water and found that something has attacked my pepper plants, eating huge circular holes in the leaves.
My basil plant and tomato plants are untouched, and it happened at night. No sign of the attacker anywhere. Help please!! I live in Az, it's hot and dry.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Slugs or snails. You will only see them if you go out late at night with a flashlight and look. What works best for me for them is diatomaceous earth. If you type slugs or slug control into the Search the Forum Keyword box, you will find lots of other suggestions.

dave103069

As torpe said, it looks like slugs.. Take a few small containers like the ones for butter spreads and pour beer in them and place them around the plants. For what ever reason slugs are attracted to beer. They go in and die.. I does work. You can also spray water with hot peppers and dish soap on the leaves which will also helps..

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lots of people swear by the beer traps, certainly worth trying. I've tried a couple times and never caught anything.

The garlic/pepper spray is good against insects, especially soft bodied ones. I don't think it bothers the slugs at all.

dave103069

You won't see the slugs in the beer. they pretty much disintegrate once they go in. you will just see some particles in the beer..

LitGreenYellowThumb
Newly Registered

I set out the little cups of beer in my flower garden and caught tons. I did not catch slugs, just small snails.

imafan26
Mod

slugs and snails do the same kind of damage.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”