IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

What is the best way to curb bird and voles?

I have tried everything to keep them out:

1. Tried the CDs hanging and blowing in the breeze.
a. Worked great when the sun was out. Once the sun went behind a cloud or a house they were back

2. Tried rubber snakes.
a. I watched in amazement as the birds flew down hovered above the snakes, picked them up and threw them out of their way!! I laughed at it.

3. Last thing was big Mylar balloons.
a. I thought that the size and the fact that they would be floating and moving all the time would make all the critters stay away. DIDN'T WORK!!!

I saw people using pie pans, but I don't think my neighbors would like the noise produced by the pans.

Any other ideas?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Most gardeners look to birds as a form of insect control. What are the birds doing that upsets you?

What have you tried vs. the voles mentioned in your title?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

yeah, I saw the birds eating all of my bean sprouts and my strawberries while they were in the garden, and the only thing they controlled was the night crawler worms. I still had lots of bug holes showing up in my peppers and cabbage. I can not readily see any damage from the voles, but I know they are there, I caught one in a mouse trap with peanut butter on it.

SOB
Green Thumb

It might be a pain depending on how big your garden is but you can buy bird netting the you carefully set over top of your plants. It keeps the birds out and lets the sun and water pass through. I have never used it but have heard of others doing so - especially with strawberries.

I have always looked to birds as a benefit to the garden. In fact, I put a bird feeder in my garden to attract more of them. Come to think of it maybe you could try that. If you feed them something else (nyjer seed, sunflower seeds, etc) maybe they will stay away from your fruit.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think bird netting is the basic answer, but you don't want it touching your plants or they can just reach through it. I put it over hoops. They wire frames they give you for political yard signs work great for that; I save all mine.

cwayland

Cats!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”