veggielover2012

broccoli and green caterpillars?

I started growing broccoli a few months ago. I picked some of the finished heads off and when I washed them, a few little green caterpillars came out. After inspecting the heads more carefully (I had 4 heads) I found over twenty caterpillars.

I can't imagine the thought of what would have happened if the caterpillars didn't fall out. I would have ended up eating them.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Can you do anything to prevent it? It makes eating broccoli and much less satisfying experience.

dtlove129

Yep. I haven't had them as bad this year. I think you just soak the broccoli in salt water. I don't know why just soaking them in water won't work. To me I would think if had the head emerged underwater for 5 minutes the damn things would drown.

It's just protein anyhow, so when you eat don't look at your food to closely! ha

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yep! The critters sure like all things in the cabbage family. You could dust them with diatomaceous earth to discourage the little critters. Without some protection, you can plan on bugs and or worms.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Soak them out in water, pick them in the field/garden - just don't eat them.

Last year I was quite grossed out by those green worms but after dealing with two raised beds full of millipedes, I can probably deal with almost anything.

Check your cauliflower, too.

luvthesnapper

Yup. They were all over the place. I got most of them though. They were really liking my Brussel sprouts.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Oh, you guys aren't eating them? shoot, I've been harvesting them! It adds a good bit of protein to a mostly veggie meal. And a nice little squuuuuuuish/crunch at the end of a bite. :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”