Arriga
Cool Member

Peanut Question

I decided to try something new this year. Peanuts! The plants are now 3 inches tall. After doing some investigating, I learned that runners come drop down and this is where the nuts are made. My problem is that of course I amended the garden with manure, humus and compost but the soil is still a little hard on the top. Will the runners be able to penetrate the soil? If not, what can I do to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

barrelslime

What I do is, the row I'm planting in I let the triller bury as deep as it will go. The soil will stay loose enough for the growing season. Second, I till sand into the planting row to help keep the soil loose. It has worked for me in the past, although I am not currently planting and nuts.

soil
Greener Thumb

You need to be mulching this will prevent the soil from crusting. Just don't use any mulch with big pieces. An inch of straw works good.

Arriga
Cool Member

I am growing Virginia giants too. Thanks I will give the mulch a shot

SOB
Green Thumb

I hope you don't mind me changing the subject a little bit but this is also my first time trying to grow peanuts. I have noticed that my plants tend to stay close to the ground, meaning they seem to be bushing out more than they are growing tall. Is this typical?

Arriga
Cool Member

My first time too. I am not sure.

bg
Cool Member

I grew some of the of those, my plant stayed about 1 to 1 1/2 ft tall and then drooped over and spread out over about 2-3 feet. It grew a few runners that went into the ground, and some didn't make it.

By the time the peanuts were ready, the plant just died (not sure if that's normal), and I just pulled it. Underneath were a lot more peanuts, not in runners at all but the roots.

I apparently missed a few, since I got a new plant that's about 1 1/2 to 2 ft tall ;3

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”