sixboots

Broccoli question

Hello. I planted broccoli plants without knowing (failure to research) that they are a cool weather plant.

The plants are doing very well... getting quite big, but in case it becomes a hot summer (upper 90s this week), what could I do to keep them healthy?

I've thought about putting them under our deck, where they'd get some sun, but be in the shade for most of the day. I've also thought about bringing them inside when it gets above 90, but there would be limited sunlight no matter where I put them inside.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I have already harvested my first planting of broccoli and my second planting is just starting to produce heads. I have always done it like this plant right after harvest. I will get three harvests this way. I just make sure the summer planting gets plenty of water and they will do fine.

I use a soaker hose and some compost tea thrown in every week. It is in the 90's here also and my plants look great.

SLC

I got a late start last year - didn't get stuff in the ground until almost July 1 and the broccoli grew just fine through the hot summer, and we had some days that were above 100 degrees last year! I think it hit like 104 a few days that summer! I was harvesting broccoli in September, but at least I didn't care when!

sixboots

Great news! I love broccoli! Thanks for the replies.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Usually broccoli does not love hot weather. Those don't sound like normal cases. I would say if it gets in the 90's a bit of shade will do the plants good. It's good that you're using a soaker hose. Usually when the really hot weather hits, broccoli, as well as other cool weather crops such as cabbage, lettuce, etc, all bolt. When a plant "bolts", this means that it recognizes that the ideal temps/conditions have passed and the plant quickly switches its focus to making seed instead of foliage.

That being said, the part of the broccoli plant we eat is the flower buds. The plant needs to send those up in order to make seeds. If your plants are very big, the hot weather could induce the heads to form. But you will have to watch them closely. In cool weather the heads of flower buds will sit there a while before they shoot up and open into yellow flowers. But in your hot weather, they will quickly move up and open. Then they will be no good to eat.

If I were you, I'd watch closely and err on the side of picking too early rather than wait and not get anything. If you see heads, start checking them at least twice a day. If it looks like the buds are swelling and you may start seeing little bits of yellow showing through on some, harvest it and eat it.

Good luck! Plan to plant more seeds in August, then you'll have a good crop for the fall.

sixboots

Thank you! That was a very informative reply. Just so happens that I have about 5 cabbage
plants too, but an unable to move them.. and they're in the sun for at least 8 hours a day.
Do you have some advice on how to sustain the cabbage in my situation?

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I have had better luck with cabbage lasting through the heat and sun honestly. And I'm not that far from you...well....compared to many on here. Just leave it alone. You'll probably have smaller heads. But even a softball sized head is quite a bit of cabbage. Keep it watered well and see what happens. I have never had cabbage bolt unless it was VERY young when it got hot.

I grow "copenhagen" and "early market". Different varieties may have different results. IDK if my strains are particularly heat resistant or anything.

Keep an eye on 'er :wink: . best of luck!

sixboots

Will do. Thanks again.

SLC

I should have noted that my broccoli was in partial shade and was planted near the lettuce, which DID bolt. I guess it's all luck? I have the broccoli in basically the same spot this year, but I started them inside much earlier and they are quite large already, so hopefully I get broccoli again this year!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Many garden plants that are claimed to be cool weather plants are called such because they can withstand a light frost without damage. So you can plant them early when the weather is cool. This does not necessarily mean that you can't grow them a little later in the season. Also, garden plants do better in full sunlight all day from my experience. Just make sure they have enough water. They will be fine.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”