btrowe1

Changing of the seasons???

I've noticed something strange this year that possibly someone else has noticed. Do things seem to be coming on earlier than usual?? I have zuc's cukes and peppers already coming on. I have flowers on my tomatos,Some of my onions are already 18" to 20" high.. My brussels are growing brussels.
To me this is strange as I am in Northern, Ny and it's the beginning of June.. usually I see this early to mid July.. Not normal at all,

I don't mind this but gonna have to watch the garden a bit more than usual maybe I can get a 2nd crop in of something, thats something I really never get a chance to do.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

You aren't the only one! I have blooms on my peppers and tomatoes already, and I only planted them a month/month and a half ago at the most!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Most if not all of us are seeing early harvest times and thing ahead of schedule. We all had such a mild winter that things are, well, ahead of schedule.

luvthesnapper

There was no winter in Delaware, for the most part. My tomatoes are coming on real well, and I've been eating green beans and peas for weeks. Lima beans look to be about a week out, but that's only because I went away, and they were started later.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I saw a monarch butterfly - talk about EARLY! I usually don't see these guys around here til late July/Sept!

Thank you, climate change (sarcasm)

Us gardeners are a good pulse on the changing climate. Check out how they're using Thoreau's journals: https://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/mar/14/henry-david-thoreau-climate-change

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Absolutely, tons of things have come very early this year over most of the country, from lobsters molting early, pollen allergies arriving early, things blooming early, etc etc.

20 years ago I was married in an outdoor wedding on EarthDay April 22. I have the pictures and they are full of daffodils, tulips, redbuds and other flowering trees in bloom, etc. It was gorgeous. This year by the time EarthDay rolled around all the spring bulb flowers and most of the flowering trees including redbuds had come and gone and it was looking like summer, mostly green.

Climate has been steadily warming and seasons getting earlier over those 20 yrs, but this last year with hardly any winter and a very early spring warm up is a pretty extreme example. New normal?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”