RogueRose
Green Thumb

Beets growing correctly?

I planted these awhile ago....gosh in April I think. I thought they'd be ready by now. I am not sure the exact date in April. I think its the 2nd week. I pulled one up to see how they're going. Should I pull them up and start over?

[img]https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/jeauthomas/From%20Cell/IMG_20120615_114329.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Did you thin them? The crinkly thing we call a beet seed is actually a capsule with several seeds in it. You always need to thin beets. You can thin them now and enjoy the greens and small beets. Those roots will grow for some time yet. Patience. If you want baseball sized roots, you must thin enough to give them space to have a root that large. Like one plant every 3 inches.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Did you thin them? The crinkly thing we call a beet seed is actually a capsule with several seeds in it. You always need to thin beets. You can thin them now and enjoy the greens and small beets. Those roots will grow for some time yet. Patience. If you want baseball sized roots, you must thin enough to give them space to have a root that large. Like one plant every 3 inches.
I did thin them....there's about 2" between the plants. I just read that beets are ready in 50 days and its been more. This area that I planeted them is quite shady (I didn't realize this until later) so maybe that's why they're growing slow. I probably can thin them some more. The beet above is the largest one I think....I have carrots in the same area and those are going well.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

50 days maybe planting first of June. They just need more time. I usually have some grow full season and they get like softballs.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The smaller beets will probably taste just fine, and the greens are terrific! Go ahead and eat whatever you like, and wait on the others.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I grew some last year and they were small too. I think not enough sun and not enough nutrients played a factor in it. If you leave them in longer they continue to grow just like Jal_Ut says. I let my radishes and carrots do this and some got huge. I am gonna do more beets in the fall and less radishes.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Thanks for the tips everyone. I can be more patient. And thin some down....I was worried it took so long for them to develop.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

mine are tiny little seedlings, can't possibly take 50 days LOL. its already been like 40, atleast!

RogueRose
Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:mine are tiny little seedlings, can't possibly take 50 days LOL. its already been like 40, atleast!
Well it's been 83 for me and they're just starting to look like beets for me. 50 days my butt!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

exactly. :( hopefully mine turn into something. I've yet to be successful with them, although I put them in the soil I had brought in last year. They don't grow in my native soil.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:exactly. :( hopefully mine turn into something. I've yet to be successful with them, although I put them in the soil I had brought in last year. They don't grow in my native soil.
Mine are in my native soil....The lettuce, beets and carrots are all in native soil. The lettuce went nuts. Carrots are going well. These beets are the only thing that is going slow. I think next time I'll try them in the soil I mix with other soil.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

barely anything grows in my native soil though, it is very acidic :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”