GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Garlic harvest

It did seem a bit early...but what can you do. The plants were mostly died back and it was either get em out of the ground or risk them sprouting again. I think there were around 200 bulbs. Some small, some big, and a lot of medium ones. This being only my second year (3rd if you count the first mistake) :roll: I definitely did a lot better. A number of the bulbs divided this year, something I didn't have any luck with last year. After we harvested we dried them in the sun and then tied them together to make a big garlic chain. The chain was 9ft long when we were done! I think we'll have plenty to get us through the winter. :wink: And since there's no taste difference between the huge ones and the small ones, it doesn't hurt my feelings to save the best for planting this fall.

Here's the harvest drying in the sun. The kids were a big help carrying it all out from behind the squash!
[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/grnpez/garlicharvest.jpg[/img]

And here the garlic chain draped over the back gate. I think it took like an hour to make that tying 4 bulbs on at a time.
[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/grnpez/garlicchain.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

:D Wonderful!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

They look terrific Jeff. My garlic are now forming scapes and harvest should be in about a month.

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Very awesome. I am thinking mine will be soon as well. I have had scapes for a several weeks now. I am going to check them out tommorow.

Nice haul. :clap:

RogueRose
Green Thumb

That is like my dream come true. Between lunch and dinner I probably consume about 5-12 cloves of garlic a day!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Phew! Must be a potent cloud floating around your head. I can't imagine eating more than one or two cloves per day. You should have a healthy immune system and no fear of vampires!

RogueRose
Green Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:Phew! Must be a potent cloud floating around your head. I can't imagine eating more than one or two cloves per day. You should have a healthy immune system and no fear of vampires!
Lol oddly enough, I don't smell. I love garlic and use it in everything I make. I am healthy. Definitely warding off vampires. I seem to be getting bit by less mosquitos this year. Or maybe there's less mosquitos?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”