DownriverGardener

Will this pepper plant rebound ok?

[img]https://img835.imageshack.us/img835/3450/photowtn.jpg[/img]

A raccoon got into it last night - caught him in the act. He actually completely ravished a very healthy basil plant as well, but the root-balls were in tact on each plant, so I think I may plant them next to some tomatoes. My Coon-hating dog alerted me to his presence! I have a giant container garden aside from that I have in ground, and I fertilize with a lot of fish-emulsion/based organics, so I guess it's a downfall of going all natural.

P.S. - any clever ways to keep a coon outta your garden? I'm lucky he didn't get one of my monster tomato plants or other pepper plants. Thanks!

DownriverGardener

Just covered those ripped/exposed roots with some fresh potting soil and a drink of water. Luckily, those roots only got a small dose of indirect morning light.

The coon apparently was only after the scent of my organics, because it was trying to digg into the soil. It didn't even eat the basil, but it ripped out the plants. Thanks for your response! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mg got it.. I can never use fish emulsion, because the cats and raccoons go crazy for it, dig everything up looking for the fish they know HAS to be there! :)

There's plenty of non-fish organic fertilizers. I just use compost.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have had good luck by putting a radio in the corn patch to repel coons and skunks. I put it on the hard rock station. :) That should drive anything away?

DownriverGardener

jal_ut wrote:I have had good luck by putting a radio in the corn patch to repel coons and skunks. I put it on the hard rock station. :) That should drive anything away?
This I will Definitely try. Great tip. Maybe I'll have to put it to the RAP or POP station, those are equally as scary! haha

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”