Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Tilling and planting in june !

I have a section of my new garden that needed tilled so I just did it this week and tried a few things! The first area I did over a month ago and added 10-20-20 before I tilled and threw lots of sunflower seeds on the ground before I tilled. I now have over a 100 sunflowers over 3 feet tall and very healthy looking!
*** My ne 40 by 60 area I just tilled this past week and today! I add 4 things before I tilled. 10-20-20, epsom salts, lime pellets and a covering of pine shavings. I tilled it all under and planted beans onions, cylinder beets more tomatoes and zucks plus a mix of other things. I mixed the onions with the beans and added the beets in most of the rows with the other crops! Beets seem to get along with everthing as do radish!
___
My radish I planted over a month ago are all in flowers now about 4 feet high in pinks and whites. I will pull most of them soon and use them for mulsh! I have about 10 sacks of the pine shavings that I ill put around most of the crops! Any advice on pine shavings? The dirt is very black and really rich since the formar gardnerhad a garden there for 40 years! My area now is 40 by 100 and I have it mostly planted now! I have a whle row of pineapple tomatoes!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lime pellets increase pH and pine shavings decrease it. Seems like working in opposite directions....

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

They both decrease the ph I thought but the main reason for the pine shavings is to airate the soil Maybe pine may increase it some but chips decay so slow that it should not efect it very much . And the 10-20-20 should put the nitrogen back into the soil! I will add some urea in a few weeks for more nitrogen!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lime is to decrease acidity, "sweeten" the soil, INCREASES pH (the lower the pH, the more acid).

Pine shavings are acid, but they won't have as direct an effect on the pH as the lime.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”