dtlove129

raccoon suggestion for you

Everyone knows I've been having problems with them but I may have found the solution today our just had beginners luck with this new thing. Dog proof coon trap and it cost me 15 bucks. My cage trap has been duped for 2 Weeks now but just now caught my first coon of the year on the first 3 hours of this new one being set.

Only suggestion is don't use this one if you think all creatures deserve to live. I'm more Darwinism and also think my garden things deserve to live and don't like thieving animals.

Plus there are probably a million acres of field corn and beans in central Illinois so leave my 8x10 strawberry and my 15x50 sweet corn area alone and we are fine. I feed the birds and squirrels and would give a coon food if it would just aye what I provided and that be it. Moles and coons are my nemesis since becoming a homeowner 3 years ago!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Trator supply has two cage traps for about $36 a small and large sold together. I caught ground hogs and a racoo two years ago, The racoon was very vecious and I wtchedwhen I let I out a few bocks away near a stream! It did the trick 3 ground hogs and one racoon and a possum!

Jeremy brua

Those DP's are great! But don't lit the name fool you, they will catch more then coons.

2 Green Thumbs

I am an avid trapper, running between 100 and 150 traps during season and I will tell you with confidence that if the DP traps do get an off target catch ( which in my experiance has ONLY been cats) it is easy to use a snare pole to let them go and they will be fine. A very good trick to the Dp is before setting the trap use a marshmallow and place it under the trigger then set the trap and top it off with cat food or jack mackeral. The marshmallow ensures that the coon has his front foot all the way in the trap when it fires. IMHO THE DP IS A GREAT CHOICE FOR ANIMAL DAMAGE CONTROL!!

philjam

many animals that are caught in humane cage traps, then released, will never go into a cage trap again. That is where the DP trap comes in handy. Other traps are also useful in certain situations but best be left to professional trappers.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Please, if you are going to trap varmints, dispatch them. Please do not haul them up the road and give the problem to someone else. They will likely come back anyway unless you take them 100 miles, and you won't get them in the same trap again. They do get wise.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If you prefer not to dispatch them (I'm not arguing with the concept, just offering some data), be aware that you have to take them far, far away from where they were trapped. The foraging area of an adult is roughly 7 acres in a city where there are a lots of food sources such as restaurants, to 20 or more square miles in rural areas. If you release them within that area, they'll soon be back in your garden.

There is probably a certain amount of "homing instinct" exists in raccoons, although I don't have links to any studies. The only "homing instinct" study I can recall right now dealt with a bear trapped on the Oregon coast. It was airlifted 400 miles away to the northeast, and immediately turned around, sniffed the wind, and headed back west. It arrived back in the area where it was originally trapped within a very short time. It was identified by it's ear tag.

Jeremy brua

jal_ut wrote:Please, if you are going to trap varmints, dispatch them. Please do not haul them up the road and give the problem to someone else. They will likely come back anyway unless you take them 100 miles, and you won't get them in the same trap again. They do get wise.
X2

dtlove129

I know my neighbor was complaining because he asked what I did with the 2I got. I said you won't be happy but they won't get trapped again lol. He said that was sad. I asked what good are they and don't you trap mice? He said yeah but different and I also said don't you killsnakes who actually do good for bugs and mice. He said he was scared and if tells them to go to my yard to stay safe and I finished with I tell the coons the same thing.

Jeremy brua

Those coon make for a good BBQ!

I'm glad to see fellow trappers on here.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”