luvthesnapper

My Bush Beans

A quick shot of my bush beans. 20 plants just isn't enough though. The beans are usually 5 to 6 inches.

[img]https://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd154/tonytwotime_2007/Garden%20Pics/SN852198.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd154/tonytwotime_2007/Garden%20Pics/SN852201.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd154/tonytwotime_2007/Garden%20Pics/SN852163.jpg[/img]

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

luvthesnapper wrote:A quick shot of my bush beans. 20 plants just isn't enough though. The beans are usually 5 to 6 inches.

[img]https://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd154/tonytwotime_2007/Garden%20Pics/SN852198.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd154/tonytwotime_2007/Garden%20Pics/SN852201.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd154/tonytwotime_2007/Garden%20Pics/SN852163.jpg[/img]

Do you have any way to make a trellis along one side of your raised bed? If so, you may want to try some Japanese Yard Long Beans on it. I have a 24 ft. long x 6 ft. tall trellis with the beans planted every 3 inches apart and am harvesting way more than I can possibly use. Right now, I'm taking in about 4-5 lbs. of them every other day.

If your raised bed is 8 ft. long, you could possibly harvest 1 1/2 lbs. of them every other day when peaking in production. I've grown many types of pole beans over the years and these are the most prolific and fastest growing I've ever planted. Plus, they taste great just about any way you want to fix them.

luvthesnapper

Do you have any way to make a trellis along one side of your raised bed? If so, you may want to try some Japanese Yard Long Beans on it. I have a 24 ft. long x 6 ft. tall trellis with the beans planted every 3 inches apart and am harvesting way more than I can possibly use. Right now, I'm taking in about 4-5 lbs. of them every other day.

If your raised bed is 8 ft. long, you could possibly harvest 1 1/2 lbs. of them every other day when peaking in production. I've grown many types of pole beans over the years and these are the most prolific and fastest growing I've ever planted. Plus, they taste great just about any way you want to fix them.
I could do an 8 long x 6 high trellis, no problem. I could do them as a fall crop. The reason I like these beans, is because they cook to tender very fast. 5 minutes in a steamer, and they are done. I did kentucky bush one year, and they are just too tough.

Where do you get your japanese yard long seeds?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

what variety did you plant?

luvthesnapper

sheeshshe wrote:what variety did you plant?
These are the organic "provider", from park seed. 100 seeds per pack, and I just didn't have the room, with everything. Comparing them to tomatoes, they are far easier to grow.

https://parkseed.com/organic-bean-provider/p/05885-PK-P1/

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

luvthesnapper wrote:
I could do an 8 long x 6 high trellis, no problem. I could do them as a fall crop. The reason I like these beans, is because they cook to tender very fast. 5 minutes in a steamer, and they are done. I did kentucky bush one year, and they are just too tough.

Where do you get your japanese yard long seeds?
From an on-line company called Johnny's Selected Seeds. There are a couple varieties that taste the same, just different colors. The ones I have this year are green and I pick them when they are between 18-24 inches long. I've grown some in the past that grow purple hulled that turned green when exposed to the heat of cooking, but last year I grew some purple hulled ones that remained purple even when cooked. Those were a little weird for the wife to get use to.

If you want a traditional look, go with the green hulled ones. I like to cut them in 6-8 inch lengths, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper and grill them. They are also great cut smaller and cooked just like green beans with some onion, garlic, ham, carrots and potatoes. I've also cut them in lengths to fit in canning jars and pickled them with great success.

Forgot to mention, the are usually called Asparagus Beans on the packaging.

luvthesnapper

They are also great cut smaller and cooked just like green beans with some onion, garlic, ham, carrots and potatoes.
How do you guys do it, just boil everything together? Steam?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Since I'm vegetarian and would be leaving out the ham, I would stir fry.

Add your ingredients in order of cooking time needed, carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, green beans just at the end.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I eat the beans raw. I got a question about these bush beans. I got a few plants growing and some of them look ready to take, but some are still small and developing. I thought these bush beans had a determinate type growth habit. So should I wait till all are full grown size to harvest or take what is ready?

ThomasCA

luvthesnapper wrote:
I drop them in a nice tempura batter, deep fry, and prep a big bowl of garlic aoli for dipping. A tall cold beer and I'm in heaven.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:I eat the beans raw. I got a question about these bush beans. I got a few plants growing and some of them look ready to take, but some are still small and developing. I thought these bush beans had a determinate type growth habit. So should I wait till all are full grown size to harvest or take what is ready?
Bush snap beans are eaten when they are the size you like. Usually in the 4" - 6" most tender.

Bush dry beans are harvest all at once.

Eric

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

luvthesnapper wrote:
They are also great cut smaller and cooked just like green beans with some onion, garlic, ham, carrots and potatoes.
This is how I've always fixed them when doing it this way.

1 onion diced
3-4 cloves garlic minced
1 lb. chunk seasoning ham or smoke sausage cut in small rings
3 lbs. green beans, ends removed and cut in half across the width
3-4 potatoes, peeled and cut in large cubes
5-6 carrots peeled and cut in large chunks
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil and saute the onions and meat for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook it down for a minute more then add the beans, carrots, potatoes and chicken stock. Cook partially covered over medium heat until the vegetables are done to your preference. Check for salt and pepper and add to taste.

We in Louisiana will eat this just as it is as a vegetable side to a meal or sometimes eat it over white rice as a major part of the meal. If you want to freeze this I would recommend not using the potatoes since they don't freeze well in my opinion.

luvthesnapper

They all sound good. I'm going to add some black beans, and a jalapeno to your recipe, gumbo. I have alot of both. Maybe a little cayenne too.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

luvthesnapper wrote:They all sound good. I'm going to add some black beans, and a jalapeno to your recipe, gumbo. I have alot of both. Maybe a little cayenne too.
This cooks in about an hour to hour and a half for the recipe I gave you on medium high heat. You may need to cook the black beans down some first if using dried beans. If adding canned black beans, then no.

luvthesnapper

Yea, I have 30 lbs of dry black beans. I'll just prepare the beans, then add them in toward the end.

SOB
Green Thumb

This is the way I LOVE my green beans. Fresh or out of the freezer (saved from the harvest the year before) they come out a little crunchy yet soft. I was a little hesitant the first time my wife made them but now I cant get enough.

[url]https://allrecipes.com/recipe/chinese-buffet-green-beans/[/url]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”