DownriverGardener

Sweet Banana Peppers getting black/purple-ish streaks onthem

Hi everyone! This is my first time growing Sweet Banana peppers, and the first set of peppers that is growing off of the plant (in a container, with 100% organic soils and nutrients being provided) seem to be producing these long dark/purple streaks on them. Pictures tell it best! Here ya go:

[img]https://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2185/peppersj.jpg[/img]

I'm just wondering if this is normal. Thanks! [/img]

btrowe1

They're ripe, pick'm.. They look good, nice size. I pickle mine up and have them during football season.. Nothing better..

DownriverGardener

thanks for the reply! The tag said they will turn red eventually and be a little sweeter. I was going to wait until they turn red, but your advice is definitely worth considering. Are the purple streaks normal, though?

Love the pickling idea. I'll have to google a recipe.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have thought of the dark streaks as mostly a response to cool temperatures. There are diseases with the symptom but it just seems so common in otherwise, healthy plants that disease probably shouldn't be the 1st thing to be concerned about.

Some varieties seem particularly vulnerable to this - Jalapeno, for example.

If you want to give them more time in the garden, I bet there is a good chance that this pigmentation will lessen and even go away. If you'd like to use them now, I don't think there is any reason not to.

Steve

btrowe1

I've had them with the purple before, Not sure if its a disease, I just take it as it goes. Yes the longer you leave them they do turn red,

I have Hungarin hot wax and inferno hungarians this year with the bananas,I have the bananas to give a little sweetness to the mix.

Mine haven't even started to grow, lots of little buds though..

But yours look real good.. nice size, they look long, grill'm up and enjoy..

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have seen it on different peppers before. I think it is pretty normal and the fruits will grow just fine. I forget the cause of it though, think it has something to do with temp fluctuations or something.

albucsfan
Cool Member

I always thought it was sun related... Huh... Learn something new everyday!! :D For what it's worth I have seen purple marks on pretty much every type of pepper I have grown... Except the anaheims... Just realized that. :shock: doesn't change the taste any. Plants are healthy, never really thought much about it.
:D
Never have been patient enough to let bananas turn red.. They are too tasty to wait that long for!!

2cents
Green Thumb

Waiting for them to turn completely red or purple, usually I end up with rotten peppers.
I would pick the ones in the picture, they are ready to be cut in half and fried in butter. Mmm, just like momma used to make

DownriverGardener

thank you all for your feedback! I will pick today :)

Appreciated greatly!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”