Spyderco1116

Can I add compost tea to...

I have about 10 5 gallon buckets that I am growing differnet things in... peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, etc... My question is can I add compost tea to these buckets and if so how much and what is the best to use? I'm a newbie so if this should have been posted somewhere else I apologize. Hope it's not to generic of a question. :D
In God We Trust... In others we don't... Hence the 2nd Amendment!

For those who believe no explanation is necessary... for those who do not none will suffice.... "Joe Dunninger"

luvthesnapper

Sure. As long as your compost tea is made with real compost, you can water with it every time you water your plants, if you wanted.

There is no set amount around my house. I foliar feed with it almost every evening in the summer, and use it straight up, to water plants with. You can add some rainwater to it, to stretch it out if you wanted.

I use my own organic compost to make tea with, so I'm not sure what is going on in the world of over-the-counter compost tea blends. I've heard of "boogie brew" (sp?) from a dude on you tube that does garden videos, but I haven't used it myself. I'm willing to bet it's expensive.

You drilled holes in the bottom of your buckets, right?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Open ground plants the compost tea is great but in containers I would not use too much especially if the containers do not drain well!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Spyderco1116

luvthesnapper wrote:Sure. As long as your compost tea is made with real compost, you can water with it every time you water your plants, if you wanted.

There is no set amount around my house. I foliar feed with it almost every evening in the summer, and use it straight up, to water plants with. You can add some rainwater to it, to stretch it out if you wanted.

I use my own organic compost to make tea with, so I'm not sure what is going on in the world of over-the-counter compost tea blends. I've heard of "boogie brew" (sp?) from a dude on you tube that does garden videos, but I haven't used it myself. I'm willing to bet it's expensive.

You drilled holes in the bottom of your buckets, right?
Yes I did. I also use plastic bottles in the bottom to help with drainage. I don't have my own compost at the moment. I was going to get one started next season. I appreciate the feedback...

For those who believe no explanation is necessary... for those who do not none will suffice.... "Joe Dunninger"

Spyderco1116

Bobberman wrote:Open ground plants the compost tea is great but in containers I would not use too much especially if the containers do not drain well!
The containers drain beautifully! I put about 6 or 7 20oz. plastic bottles in the bucket before I plant to help with drainage along with drilling about 20 holes in the bottom.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Too much s maybe worse than not enough. I would add more to one and less to another and compare how they react!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”