applestar
Mod

I don't know if this will work, but I read about these traps for them somewhere and it can't hurt to try, right? 8)

One is that farmers used to poke a straight hole with the hoe handle and cutworms would try to hide in them, so you can find them all trying to fit into the hole in the morning.

Another is to dig a straight-sided hole and put a straight sided can -- like soup can or cofee can that they won't be able to climb out of snug inside of it.

If you try them, let us know the results. :wink:

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

neat! I might try the hoe handle hole thing :)

I found FIVE more cut worms this afternoon! there were 5 more beans chopped down and I found all 5 cutworms. GRRRR. EVIL things! I hate these things so bad. every year I wind up with a few bean plants because they're so terrible!

on a lighter note, my grapevines I put in this year are happy and apparently like my acid soil!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

SOOOOO mad!!!! 3 more bean plants down, 2 more cutworms found.

How many more could there possibly be?? I've got rid of at least 10. 5 yesterday, 2 today, 2 the day before yesterday, 2 another day...???

this is seriously frustrating me. I had so many bean plants :( :( :( :( :(

I planted more. I guess in go the collars. I hate to do it because they're supposed to go in 1" below the surface right? and it is so difficult to do that. someoen told me to put nails right up against the stems and they can't cut. that didn't work at ALL.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Annnnd just found 5 more cutworms. gosh! I cut up a bunch of toilet paper rolls and put them around them. hopefully it works. it only took me an hour LOL. I hope this doesn't drive them to something else because they can't eat the beans. I'll be worse bad if they take out my struggling tomato plants!

applestar
Mod

;x You need more natural predators.

In my garden, I think they are moles and birds -- thrush family like robins and grackles, sometimes towhees, as well as flickers -- maybe some beneficial nematodes. Possibly chipmunks as well? 8)

Do you maintain a water feature like birdbaths, small pond, etc.? That helps to draw birds that won't come to a feeder.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

No, I don't have any of that there. I doubt my hubby would let me do a birdbath, he would dump it because it is a 'mosquito breeding ground' :roll:

I tried a bird feeder once, but the squirrels just kept breaking the stupid thing :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You need to get a little more creative! You are smarter than they are, right? :)

For the bird bath, a water wiggler is great:

[url=https://www.birdbaths.com/bird-bath-accessories/bird-bath-wigglers-&-bubblers/waterwiggler.cfm]water wiggler[/url]

but any little bubbler or mini fountain is fine too. No mosquitos will come to it as long as the water is moving. Apparently birds like moving water too. The water wiggler is nice because it's battery operated so you don't have to have electric wires out to where your bird bath is.

For the bird feeder, there are a variety of squirrel proof ones. This is the kind that has worked best for us:

[url=https://www.hayneedle.com/sale/perkypetsquirrelstumperbirdfeeder.cfm?source=placpc&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=OIN156&gclid=COGf-d2a1rACFUSK4AodeCYT3w]squirrel proof feeder[/url]

There's all different sizes and shapes of them, but basically a feeder tube inside a metal cage. Little birds can get through to the food but squirrels and also big birds like starlings can't. And the metal is very solid, they can't demolish it. We tried a lot of things before we got to these and the squirrels always got it eventually. But we have had these for years now and the squirrels do not get any more birdseed (except of course what the birds drop on the ground, but that's okay).

Any other excuses you would like me to demolish? :)

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Nope! I think you covered it all :)

You think that will solve my cutworm issue? I tend to think that birds in the garden will mean they'll eat my strawberries and other veggies etc. I haven't had an issue with berries being eaten before. If I bring them, will that change for me? That is a reservation I have.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

by golly. one of my tiny tomato plants has a flower. WHY?? LOL. it isn't anywhere near the size of a tomato plant that could even HOLD a tomato. hehehe. the thing would fall over with 1 tomato on it ROFL! well, at least it is growing... slowly, but still growing!

Starting tomororw, the next 3 days will be in the 90's. 60s at night. the tomatoes will like those night temps! grow plants grow!!!

haven't seen any more cutworms! maybe I got them all!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”