Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Potato Technology

Which potatoes do you grow and why?

I watch all the cooking TV shows. I have learned all potatoes are different in some way.

Red potatoes are low starch, they do not make good baking potatoes but they are excellent in potato salad.

Russet potatoes are the best baking potatoes because high starch makes flaky baked potatoes.

Idaho potatoes make the best french fries and hash browns if you cook them 5 minutes in 180 deg f water first, drain and dry, then deep fry.

Red potatoes grow better in hotter weather than Russet or Idaho potatoes.

I am still trying to learn how to grow potatoes in HOT Humid Tennessee weather I have best luck with red potatoes. I got my potatoes planted early this year April 1st. We had a month of freak 100 deg weather a month ago already and no rain for 2 months. My plants are looking good but so far I have no idea how they are doing until I dig them up. Typically my Russet potatoes are golf ball size and Red Potatoes are about 2 times larger than a golf ball.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I grow Kennebec white taters because they make the best french fries IMHO and they freeze well. I drop them (fries) in the fryer at 350 degrees and they can go on cooking for 10-15 minutes, never turning brown. I generally take them out before that. Mashed is also very good. They range from tennis ball to softball size with an irregular shape and a very thin skin. It seems like the skin is transparent.

I don't know how they would do in a hot climate, though.

luvthesnapper

You don't want your fries brown, when frying? Just crisp?

orgoveg
Green Thumb

luvthesnapper wrote:You don't want your fries brown, when frying? Just crisp?
I don't really care what color they are. It's just interesting that they don't turn brown. I'm sure they would if I left them in for a long time. They just taste like perfectly fried french fries (like McDonald's when they do it right).

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Interesting reading that "Idaho" potatoes are best for fries. The Russet Burbank is the commonly used potato of choice for all the fast food and most restaurant chains.

Here in Va. I have the best luck with the red potatoes too. I would guess our weather is very similar. I threw some Yukon Golds in the mix this year, an accidental pulling of one of the plants revealed a slightly smaller than tennis ball sized potato already! I'm excited to see how the rest of the plants do. That potato came from a plant that was only about 2 months old.

I put mine in the ground in mid march using a no-dig method. Didn't see growth for about a month, but everything is definitely thriving right now!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I just grow certain potatoes because I like the taste, or the name :oops:

I'm growing some red and yellow fingerling potatoes, particularly because I had some in a bag in the fridge, and they sprouted!

I've got some purple majesty, because I like the color and I love the idea of purple mashed potatoes! (they are, however, a lot more slow growing than my other varities!)

and I am growing some purple viking potatoes, also because I loved the name.

last year I just did red potatoes, and while they were yummy I want to try different varities :D All 3 this year are thriving, though. Growing some in pots and others a bit in ground!

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I like mine with garlic aioli. Mmmmmm

luvthesnapper

I don't really care what color they are.
I always tried to get mine to brown before they were overcooked. Never was able to. They always look like mcdonalds fries, as you said. They're good, either way.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I'm surprised so many people make fries. If I'm going to take the time to prepare potatoes I'd so much rather have potato salad or home fries.

Have any of you ever tried sweet potato fries? We do make those. The kids love em, Julienne the sweet potatoes and lightly coat/spray with olive oil, then sprinkle with cinnamon and ground cloves. Bake until the the fries are soft. Pull from the oven before the cinnamon burns.

SO good!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”