tenplay

problem growing asparagus

I planted some asparagus seeds two years ago. I recall seeing a few small puny spears a while back. Now all I see are 3-4 foot high ferns with seeds or buds on them. I live in Western Washington and am a truly novice backyard gardener. Thanks for any advice.

soil
Greener Thumb

Next train early spring keep an eye on the asparagus patch. The spears will come yup and if you don't harvest them they grow into the mature asparagus plant. Aka the fern stuff. So next year as they come up pick them and eat them for about a month. Then let the rest grow out to father energy for next year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah all those ferns started as your asparagus spears. But if you don't harvest the spears, the scales open up into branches and become all the ferny stuff. Nothing to do about it now, but you really shouldn't pick any asparagus in the first couple seasons after planting it anyway. You want to let the roots get well established.

tenplay

Thanks for your helpful replies. What, if anything, do I do with the ferns? Someone said that asparagus patches spread like wildfire. How does it happen? Are the yellow buds on the ferns seeds that will eventually replant in the surrounding ground? Beside weeding, does anything have to be done to the ground or plants in preparation for next year? Is there still a chance for any asparagus this year if I break off the ferns? It is still early in the growing season here in Western Washington.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Do NOT break off the ferns, they feed the roots so that they can produce new spears next year. Just leave them until they have all turned yellow.

If the asparagus is still producing new spears, you could probably harvest a few, but really this year you wouldn't have wanted to harvest much anyway.

Just keep it weeded and mulched, maybe add some compost, keep the soil rich, keep it watered. In my experience, asparagus colonies multiply (each year more stems are sent up), but I wouldn't say "like wildfire." It does make berries, but the main reproduction is from the roots. The roots keep getting bigger and sending up more shoots.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Since you seeded them two years ago, I'm assuming that this is their third year. Mine are also in their third year and I decided to wait one more year before beginning to harvest. Most of the spears are pencil thickness or less. So, it sounds like you've been on the right track without even knowing it.

I read somewhere that it likes acid soil. I use Holly Tone fertilizer for acid-loving plants 3 times per season. I'm pretty sure it's organic stuff.

Just as Rainbow said, I've noticed more spears being produced, but the plot hasn't spread at all.

Mine don't turn brown until late fall and maybe into winter.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

orgoveg wrote:I read somewhere that it likes acid soil. ..
No, I don't think that is correct.
If memory serves me, I think Asparagus prefers a Neutral (to slightly Alkaline) pH... around 7 to 7.5 I believe. (???)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Pretty close:

It [asparagus] prefers a soil pH of 6.5-7.5., and will not do well if the pH is less than 6.0.
https://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1603.html

so basically neutral +/- just a little.

I would quit with the Holly Tone and just use compost or some non-acidifying organic fertilizer.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Thanks for the correction, folks. I wish I could remember where I read that.

I use the Holly Tone on my blueberry bushes and azaleas.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

orgoveg wrote:Thanks for the correction, folks. I wish I could remember where I read that.

I use the Holly Tone on my blueberry bushes and azaleas.
Yup and it is great for them, but not for the asparagus.

tenplay

rainbowgardener wrote:Do NOT break off the ferns, they feed the roots so that they can produce new spears next year. Just leave them until they have all turned yellow.
So what do I do with the ferns when they have all turned yellow? Remove them or let them be?

Thanks for all the great advice. Can't wait until the first harvest next year.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Asparagus has a very large and perennial root system. First thing in the spring it will send up shoots. When these shoots are about ten inches tall harvest them. You can cut every shoot for a month or maybe a little more, then you have to stop and let the plants grow up and have the rest of the year to put stores in the roots for next years crop. Yes, the ferns do get tall, up to six feet. They should not be cut until frost.

Now if you are bent on having a crop this season, yes you can cut them all to the ground now and they will send up some new spears. You see it is their mission to produce seed. The roots will have enough energy to give you a crop this season. I wouldn't pick it for too long though as the plants still need time to grow up and put in stores this season.

As others have said it may be best to not do that and let the plants have the whole season to put in stores for a good crop next year. To cut it this late in the season gives you a crop this year, but perhaps at the expense of next year's crop. Oh, you would get a crop next year, but perhaps not as large.

If this is its third year, you could go for a crop yet this year. If this is its second season of growing, I wouldn't cut it now. If you did the spears would be very small. It takes 3 or 4 years to get large spears. You decide.

I usually buy one or two year old crowns to plant. I will not harvest anything the first season nor the next. So assuming I plant two year old crowns, and don't harvest its third year, they will be in their fourth growing season before I get a harvest. Even then the spears are small. Asparagus is a crop for patient gardeners. No instant gratification. Be patient.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

tenplay wrote:

So what do I do with the ferns when they have all turned yellow? Remove them or let them be?

Thanks for all the great advice. Can't wait until the first harvest next year.
After all the ferns have turned completely yellow/brown, you can cut them down at ground level and compost them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”