KeriFord

I got picked over >:

something got in my garden last night and stripped my tomatoes and half of my bell peppers. whatever it was started on a cayenne and I'm guessing that's when it stopped because it hadn't gotten to the cucumbers rowed behind them. I have some satisfaction in that it must have run for the pond after that bush and is probably still there drinking. :)

thankfully my uncle planted more than they can eat and I've already been brought a hefty bag of cucumbers and tomatoes.

cwayland

So sorry to hear that. Must be heart breaking. There is something about tomatoes that I really look forward to each year. I think I would grieve if something took them all. If something ate all the squash, cukes, chard, kales, etc. I would say a few curse words and move on. If they did it to the tomatoes I would be truly sad. Glad you have a back up and still get to eat fresh veggies this summer. Hope your plants set some more fruit.

KeriFord

whatever it was ate off mostly leaves and stems. some have more left then others, but there's a couple that just a single stalk is left sticking out of the ground.

I guess I'd be more disappointed if I didn't have a back up homegrown source. That's helping to ease the pain. and I like cukes more than tomatoes. :)

mattie g
Green Thumb

Ouch!

Even though I don't necessarily like to eat everything I grow, I get a sense of satisfaction out of seeing the proverbial fruits of my labor. I enjoy eating some of it, and providing fresh produce for my friends and family, as well, so if some critter(s) ate up all that hard work I'd be plenty pee-ode! In fact, I have a thread in the fruit forum about how squirrels completely stripped my peach tree in the course of just a couple days last week. Talk about frustrating!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Seems to be a bad year for it. I got a phone call after 10 last night from a gardener friend of mine, very discouraged, because her garden is getting ravaged, apparently by several different things, slugs and cucumber beetles and maybe something else as well.

I'm having more trouble with slugs and earwigs than usual and started fighting fungus earlier in the season than usual.

They predicted a bad bug year after the mild winter and it seems to be coming true..

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I keep having potted perennials whacked back by rabbits, the vining tips of my groundnuts zapped by slugs, and young fruit trees in their nursery bed topped by deer...my temp goes up a bit, but then I get on with things. it's the unfenced life.

when the times comes I'm doing some of this stuff professionally, there will be some changes.

KeriFord

mattie g wrote:Ouch!
squirrels completely stripped my peach tree in the course of just a couple days last week. Talk about frustrating!
They are tearing up my uncles corn!

It's the deer I can't keep off my peach tree. Little guy is only about 6rys old. I've accepted it'll have to grow bigger until they can't reach the top branches before I get anything off it. Fencing it in isn't really something I want to bother with since it'll make mowing the grass around it difficult.

KeriFord

rainbowgardener wrote: They predicted a bad bug year after the mild winter and it seems to be coming true..
we're supposed to be having the same. It's rare that I look forward to fall/winter, but after this summer so far I think I will be soon!

KeriFord

!potatoes! wrote:I keep having potted perennials whacked back by rabbits, the vining tips of my groundnuts zapped by slugs, and young fruit trees in their nursery bed topped by deer...my temp goes up a bit, but then I get on with things. it's the unfenced life.

when the times comes I'm doing some of this stuff professionally, there will be some changes.
agreed. the nearby shade trees have gotten too big, they're starting to shade my garden area. I won't be able to plant in this spot next year, so I admit I didn't put a lot of protective measures that I'll have to just take down!

mattie g
Green Thumb

KeriFord wrote:
mattie g wrote:Ouch!
squirrels completely stripped my peach tree in the course of just a couple days last week. Talk about frustrating!
They are tearing up my uncles corn!

It's the deer I can't keep off my peach tree. Little guy is only about 6rys old. I've accepted it'll have to grow bigger until they can't reach the top branches before I get anything off it. Fencing it in isn't really something I want to bother with since it'll make mowing the grass around it difficult.
We only planted ours last year, but it put out a ton of fruit this spring, and is just about 10' tall already. We're in a suburb, and since we're about a block from the nearby woods and have a fenced backyard, the deer don't bother coming this far into the neighborhood. But those &%$# squirrels!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”