reneeleann

Are my bush beans done for the year?

I live in Austin Texas and our days are already mid to high 90's.I planted Contender bush beans and have had a great crop so far. The past week or two, as the temps have risen, the plants have really taken a turn. The plants are producing a little but not much. This is my first year with beans and I am wondering if they are done for the summer or just working on a new set of beans. There are no pests or disease that I have seen during my examinations.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

When my bean plants, bush or vine, stop producing, I pull them. Beans are fast growers so I have no problem replanting some when the first batch falters.

Right now I'm taking about 4-5 lbs. of yard longs from my vines every other day. I have a 24 ft. long by 6 ft. tall trellis that is covered with them, but they are pretty heat tolerant and one of the best producers I've ever grown.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I plant a fresh batch of green beans about every three weeks from late spring through late fall. I like to be able to pick enough to prepare at least once or twice per week over a about a six month period.

reneeleann

Thank you so much. I could not find anything that said to pull them or leave them and they would produce beans again. I really appreciate the help and must say beans are my favorite thing to grow right now because they are so productive. I have pulled them and planted a new variety. :D

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Question: When growing bush beans once they produce their beans are they done? Or will they keep producing a crop?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:Question: When growing bush beans once they produce their beans are they done? Or will they keep producing a crop?
My experience with bush beans is they will produce over a period of about 4-5 weeks and and taper off significantly. This is when I pull the plants to put in other crops or more of the same.

A lot of folks plant beans in succession with a new planting every few weeks in another row or part of the garden to keep the harvest going.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah that is what I figured, they are a once and done plant. I started with 2, then I planted 2 more like 2-3 weeks after. My first 2 are close to harvest.

bcallaha
Cool Member

The op said he planted Contender. I grow Contender for the very reason he states. According to Jungs Seeds, Contender is tolerant of heat, and produces it's beans in a short time. Some varities offer a longer growing season, but I like to pick the earlier beans for the table, then pull the plants for canning. If you want to harvest over a longer time, you may want to plant successive plantings like others have suggested, or pick a variety that has a longer growing season.

Brad

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:Right now I'm taking about 4-5 lbs. of yard longs from my vines every other day. I have a 24 ft. long by 6 ft. tall trellis that is covered with them, but they are pretty heat tolerant and one of the best producers I've ever grown.

Funny....my yard longs did horrible. But not the bean's fault. For some reason they were like beacons for aphids. The aphids didn't touch a single other plant other than those asparagus beans. It was so good at attracting them, all jokes aside, I am seriously considering using them as a decoy crop to draw attention away from my corn.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I haven't grown contender. I grow Jade and they usually give 3 pickings then I may as well pull them. I am going to plant some more today for an extended harvest.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

GardenRN wrote:
gumbo2176 wrote:Right now I'm taking about 4-5 lbs. of yard longs from my vines every other day. I have a 24 ft. long by 6 ft. tall trellis that is covered with them, but they are pretty heat tolerant and one of the best producers I've ever grown.

Funny....my yard longs did horrible. But not the bean's fault. For some reason they were like beacons for aphids. The aphids didn't touch a single other plant other than those asparagus beans. It was so good at attracting them, all jokes aside, I am seriously considering using them as a decoy crop to draw attention away from my corn.
That's a shame since I consider them one of the better tasting beans I've grown over the years. I fill a 5 gallon plastic bucket with them every 2 days with the plants I now have. I believe I'll cut that amount back by half for next season and let the big trellis share space with more cucumbers since I like to make my own pickles.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Out of about 6 ft of trellis devoted to those yard longs I've only gotten about 10 beans lol. They must taste ok though, my daughter snatches them up and eats 'em before I get a chance to try them. :roll:

jnunez918

I am also is cedar park. I recently put shade cloth over my main garden which includes my beans. They are doing ok maybe enough to go with dinner once a week. About a week ago a planted some in a pot by the back door in only half day sun. They seem to be doing well.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”