sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Alaska Fish Fertilizer?

I was looking for fish emulsion. This is what I found at the store where I was at, it is 5-1-1. it says it is deodorized with wintergreen oil and it is not for organic use. I am thinking I got the wrong thing.... right? I thought I got fish emulsion until I just sat down to read it and mix it just now.

luvthesnapper

Does it say fish emulsion, or something along those lines? If it says it's not organic, then it isn't. Sounds like you might have bought an emulsion of some sort, but it has other things added, for whatever reason.

This guy has great liquid kelp, and liquid fish. $29.50 a gallon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fertilizer-Liquid-Fish-1-Gallon-Free-shipping-USA-/350204538391?pt=Fertilizer_Soil_Amendments&hash=item5189d12e17

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Hydrolyzed, cold process, is a much better product. They haven't cooked the good stuff out of it.

Eric

luvthesnapper

When I'm starting seeds, I soak them in liquid kelp or fish, then roll them around in Azomite, then I plant. Gives them a great boost, from the very start.

applestar
Mod

Sheeshshe, you live in Maine. Don't get ALASKA fish fertilizer. Get Neptune's Harvest -- either Maine or Connecticut fishing industry byproduct...I have to look it up.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

OK, I will have to look for it. I probably have to get it from a mom and pop place and not a big box store :)

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I've been using that stuff for years because it's the only kind I can find around here. I did note the things you found on the label, but I never gave it enough thought until now. It is called "fish fertilizer", as opposed to "fish emulsion". That should have been my first clue. The bottle says that it is "derived from fish emulsion" that should have been my second clue. It also says that it is "natural organic BASED". There is my third clue.

The website listed in fine print for metal content is https://aapfco.org/metals.htm That led me here: https://apps4.cdfa.ca.gov/fertilizerproducts/default.aspx Well, that link takes you to the next step. Type "Alaska Fish Fertilizer" in the product name box. Click the highlighted name on the next page to see the analysis.

I noted the levels of arsenic and copper, but I don't know what levels are acceptable. The manufacturer's website claims that the product is OMRI certified.

The MSDS says that it contains sulfuric acid.

mattie g
Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:OK, I will have to look for it. I probably have to get it from a mom and pop place and not a big box store :)
I've used Neptune's Harvest direct on my plants and in compost tea. I can tell you that my plants really liked it...but so did the raccoons!

I got my first bottle from the local nursery, but ordered more at the end of last season from Amazon.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”