RickRS

Starting a second round of cucumbers in summer heat?

A section of the garden is open for planting after digging the last of my red potatoes and clearing out all the collards. The wife only planted pickling cucumbers and now wants to have slicing types.

I haven't planted cucumbers this late before, so I checked the U of F guide for north Florida planting. The chart has planting recommendation of Feb-April and Aug-Sept, suggesting I'll have problems with summer heat. Are cucumbers like tomatoes; subject to blossom drop from high night time temperatures? Ya'll know of other heat related issues that suggest planting in June as daytime temps settle into 92-96F and nights of 72-78F is going to be disappointing?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have not gardened in Florida. I do know that cucumbers are heat loving plants. I think its worth a try for what a few seeds cost. Gardening is a big experiment. You never get done trying things. Yes, we have our disappointments, but we also have our rewards. We learn as we go.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

My cukes I planted in early spring are just about done between the heat and bugs this year.

I have planted cukes with mixed results this late in the season and have had better success planting in late August for a fall crop before it gets too cool for them.

Like jal-ut said, it's an experiment, and sometimes you get unexpected surprises when least expected------------and some failures when wishing for the best. What can it hurt to try some seeds?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I planted cukes early and they didn't do much, as it has heated up they are now really growing. I say give it a shot.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:I planted cukes early and they didn't do much, as it has heated up they are now really growing. I say give it a shot.
What kind of temperatures are you averaging in summer in S. Cal.? Here in La. and Rick in Fla. it is getting in the mid 90's daily with like numbers in humidity.

Bad thing is, that doesn't change for us until sometime around mid September, with July and August being the worst of it. As I get older, the more I hate our oppressive summer weather.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

My "spring" cuks did pretty well. I'm gonna start another batch from seed in about 2 weeks. The remaining "spring" cuks are actually doing well (knock on wood), but there are only 3 plants left. The others crapped out 2 weeks ago.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:
PunkRotten wrote:I planted cukes early and they didn't do much, as it has heated up they are now really growing. I say give it a shot.
What kind of temperatures are you averaging in summer in S. Cal.? Here in La. and Rick in Fla. it is getting in the mid 90's daily with like numbers in humidity.

Bad thing is, that doesn't change for us until sometime around mid September, with July and August being the worst of it. As I get older, the more I hate our oppressive summer weather.
Upper 80s lower 90s. But we don't have much humidity here. I planted lots of things kind of late but will see what happens. I know that at some point during the summer the tomatoes and peppers suffer and don't set as much fruit. I already got some dwarf tomatoes dropping blossoms.

Wallflower

Im in zone 7, i forget if its 7a or 7b now, but i had 1 cucumber plant die from the wind toppling it over while it was just barely growing. I planted a new seed in its place just about 3 weeks ago. Its thriving! I'd say go for it you don't have much to lose right?

RickRS

I'll go ahead and give it a try. All part of the "grand experiment" that's gardening. As Gumbo states, Gulf Coast heat and humidity is tough, so that might be the rationality for the University of Florida's planting recommendation.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”