jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Frosty.

This morning the temperature is 32° F. There is frost on the windshield of my truck. There was a little rain so the grass is wet and it is not frozen. I am hoping that the plants will make it since they are wet from the rain. June 6 and freezing. Sheesh!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, that would make me crazy... But having mountains as the backdrop for all your garden pictures makes up for a lot. And you always manage some how to bring in a bountiful crop in your short season!

applestar
Mod

It was 46°F this morning here. Caught me completely by surprise.
As I said in another post, all my container plants that I take care to send outside in groups as the spring weather warms up -- 45°+, 52°+, 62°+... Are ALL outside already and I'm wondering what all that effort was for. :roll:

I haven't been paying attention to the night time temps because it's not supposed to matter this time of the season, but I'm guessing we must have had a cold dip the night before too because there's a 60+ plant that was looking odd yesterday. I don't know if I want to go outside and look at it today.... :?

Hopefully the stuff in the ground are a little more buffered since the soil would have stayed relatively warm. I'll go see if the eggplants are "praying" (they hold up their leaves as if in prayer when they get cold).

Hope everybody in your garden came through OK, James!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

And you always manage some how to bring in a bountiful crop in your short season!
Plants have an amazing desire to mature and produce seed. Every season is different and we can't do much about the quirks of weather, but it seems in spite of it all, I always get a harvest of something. A little frost damage will slow down the plants, but it takes a pretty heavy frost to kill them. The sun is about to come up then I will be able to assess the damage. I could have covered the tomatoes and peppers, but did not. I didn't think it was going to get so cold. The squash and beans are pretty susceptible to frost too, and no way can I cover it all. Just have to see what is left when the sun comes up.

dtlove129

James, we are having cool nights/mornings right now too. I like it for sleeping, but I know it is slowing down growth outside. No frost for us, so best of luck to you there!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Its crazy. We had a high of 87 two days ago. I didn't expect to see frost again till September. It looks like the plants are OK. Whew!

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:This morning the temperature is 32° F. There is frost on the windshield of my truck. There was a little rain so the grass is wet and it is not frozen. I am hoping that the plants will make it since they are wet from the rain. June 6 and freezing. Sheesh!

It hit the 40's here last night and only going to make it to the 70's today all week for that matter! I have already picked my fist planting of broccoli radishes and carrots! What a weird spring this year!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

What? Its freezing again this morning. I don't think summer will ever get here.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Hang in there James, it's just around the corner. August!

We had a week long stretch of sunshine back in earl May, but now the June-uary pains.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"We have two seasons, Winter and July.", my father.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In cincinnati, we say we have two seasons: winter and roadwork. :) Orange barrels are everywhere! But roadwork lasts a lot longer than July.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Here's hoping the weather warms up a bit for ya! I wish it'd cool down a bit here, too hot! But I shouldn't be complaining.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I'll take some of that frost. It hit 90 here and high humidity. My tomatoes, peas, hydrangeas were wilty. The ponies looked wilty too. No riding yesterday. :(

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”