LLandry11

Our 2012 Garden - Let the fun begin!

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to share some pictures of "Our 2012 Garden" -- from the beginning!
I am going to try to take pictures throughout the whole season to document our progress. I regret not taking pictures last year.

So here it is! Our garden! May 26th, right before we start!
It's 125X45, minus the 20X25 patch of rock in the middle (which is where we have our manure dumped so it works out great)

[img]https://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r568/LLandry_11/Our%202012%20Garden/Beforeplanting-May26.jpg[/img]

May 26th - planted 7 rows of potatoes (Chieftan & Kennebec)

[img]https://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r568/LLandry_11/Our%202012%20Garden/7rowsofpotatoes-May26.jpg[/img]

May 27th - fence is up and peas planted (Misty & Green Arrow)

[img]https://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r568/LLandry_11/Our%202012%20Garden/Peas-May27.jpg[/img]

May 27th - 3 more rows of potatoes (rows 1,3,5 after peas - will be planting bush beans in between.)

[img]https://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r568/LLandry_11/Our%202012%20Garden/3otherrowsofpotatoesrows13and5afterpeas-May27.jpg[/img]

And here are "some" of my garden markers. Hubby made these for me and I painted them. I have a bunch more now, just haven't taken any new pictures. I'll have them up in the garden hopefully for the next pics.

[img]https://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r568/LLandry_11/Our%202012%20Garden/Mygardenmarkers.jpg[/img]

We'll be planting our lettuce and spinach this week, but it's still pretty cold here to attempt anything else yet.

Let the fun begin! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful garden space. It will be fun to watch it develop.

Wow! May 26th and you are planting lettuce and spinach. Mine have come and gone already. I have green tomatoes and baby peppers.

Do you even have time in your season to grow tomatoes and peppers? I'm guessing if the last frost date is late, the first frost date is also early.

LLandry11

Yes, we do have time to plant tomatoes and peppers. My starter plants are still inside at this point because we're still getting frost. The way things are going, they'll probably only get moved outside around June 15th or so. The weather here the last couple of weeks has been a lot colder than usual for this time of year. A lot of people got caught planting too early, as most people here plant everything the long weekend of May.
Last year, we only planted the first week of July (we decided last minute!) and everything still turned out great, and we weren't that far behind everyone else.

This is what we have left to plant:

- Carrots (Napoli, Bilbo & Bolero)
- Beets (Detroit Red)
- Peppers (Fat'n'Sassy (red), Big Bertha (green), Purple Beauty (purple) & Orange Blaze (orange))
- Pumpkins (Howden, Sorcerer & Baby Pam)
- Yellow Beans (Gold Rush)
- Green Beans (Provider)
- Lettuce (Romaine, Simpson Elite & Edox)
- Spinach (Tortoiseshell)
- Green onions (Parade & Tokyo)
- Onions (Norstar)
- Tomatoes (Early Girl, Sweet 100, Sweet Million & Yellow Pear)
- Cucumbers (Mercury & Summer Dance)
- Zucchini (Onyx)
- Squash (Spaghetti)

I prepare a spreadsheet to "plan" the garden and make little notes as I go. I'll be able to compare from year to year.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I love it! Have you grown the chieftan potatoes before? I picked up one potato start for kicks because it looked neat. I was wondering how you liked them :)

LLandry11

Yes, we planted Chieftan last year and they were our favorite, which is why we've planted even more this year. I wanted to try some Yukon Gold this year, but we stuck with Kennebec.

LLandry11

If I might ask "sheeshshe", since you're my neighbour (Maine/NB), where are you at with your planting?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

oh that is good to know! thank you!!!!!

As for me, I got everything in end of last week. right before all this crazy rain. I don't have as big of a space as you do though! my peas I put in long ago and they are starting to flower :) I am however, in southern maine, so I think our temperatures are probably a bit different. they just changed us over to zone 5 this year (this is what everyone is telling me anyways). we were right on the edge of 5 as it was.

LLandry11

Yeah, I would say that sounds about right for you being in Southern Maine compared to us. Thanks!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”