sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Tomatoes in 5-gal buckets... I didn't have success

I keep reading and seeing people having success with growing tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets. I tried it last year and honestly, they didn't do nearly as good as the ones planted in the ground. the plants didn't produce anywhere near the amount of tomatoes as the ones in the ground (same soil) the plants also didn't get as large either. Do people really have awesome success with it? Is it something that can be done, but you need to fertilize it more?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137ch26.html]Look at This[/url]

The tomato has a giant root system when in the ground. When confined to a bucket, yes, it would need to be watered and fertilized regularly to perform anywhere near as well.

[url=https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137toc.html]This paper[/url] describes the root development of many of the plants we grow in our gardens. It is required reading if we want to learn about our plants and the parts we don't see.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, tomatoes in containers have such a little bit of soil, which dries out very fast compared to being in the ground. That means you have to water them all the time (for me every day in heat of summer). That means you are flushing nutrients out of the soil all the time, with all that water, so then you have to fertilize regularly.

It can be done, but it is way more work than sticking a tomato plant in the ground.

I tried it one year and decided it was only for people who really have no other choice, like they are gardening a balcony or something.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I have 3 (or 4....hmmm..got to count) in 5g buckets and 5 in the ground. They're all doing great. The weather is cooperating wonderfully lately with watering my garden every day for me (and they said it was supposed to be a DRY summer...or is this a delayed april showers?). I want to fertilize everyone but I want to use my liquid fertilizer and I'm worried it will just go right through with it being so wet. I think I will just put on the granular one I have though since it's so wet out.

Also - I am not sure how you planted them, but I planted them up to 3/4 full then filled in more soil once they grew a bit.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

that makes total sense! One of my friends thought about doing it for their tomatoes and she is new at gardening, I told her last week that I don't recommend it. Glad I told her that, because I don't' want to set her up to fail, esp since she doesn't have a lot of time to devote to watering daily.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I wish I could open those links. for some odd reason, it isn't letting me open them. it is blocking it :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

you mean the link to RogueRose's garden album? That's a facebook page. It won't let you go there if you are not a FB member.

If you meant jal_ut's links, I didn't have any trouble opening them.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

No, the links that james posted.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137toc.html

Here is the link. Copy and paste into your browser.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

thanks!!! that works. Not sure what is up with my browser.. I've never had issues with opening links before... strange!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

WOAH!!!!! that link is insane! wow, crazy stuff. I never would have thought an onion would send out roots 39" down. that is nuts! and tomatoes? up to 5 feet? that is shear craziness! hopefully I read it right!

applestar
Mod

Yep. I've had those links for a while now too, and it's really amazing. Now I can't remember if Jame posted both, but there are two -- that together reference most common vegetables you would plant. I like going back and reading them at least once or twice every season.... 8)

RogueRose
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:you mean the link to RogueRose's garden album? That's a facebook page. It won't let you go there if you are not a FB member.

If you meant jal_ut's links, I didn't have any trouble opening them.
The link I posted is a public link for those that aren't on FB and also not in my network.

mattie g
Green Thumb

The info from the Soil and Heath site is pretty mind-blowing. Makes me feel like I'm not treating my plants right and giving them enough room to grow!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When plants are grown in the soil their roots have a large volume of soil to draw water and nutrients from, as you can see from the info on the link. This doesn't mean you can't grow plants in containers, but it should illustrate the need for frequent watering and fertilizing so your plants are not starved.

mattie g
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:When plants are grown in the soil their roots have a large volume of soil to draw water and nutrients from, as you can see from the info on the link. This doesn't mean you can't grow plants in containers, but it should illustrate the need for frequent watering and fertilizing so your plants are not starved.
Good point.

I'm using containers for some extra tomatoes and peppers this year, and really don't know what I'm doing. Is there a good guideline for how often container gardeners should fertilize (with compost tea and hydrolized fish fertilizer)?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”