PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

When whould I harvest my garlic?

I planted some garlic last year around mid October. I have done nothing special except watered them one time with liquid fish fertilizer. The soil is pretty good to begin with though. But anyway I was thinking it is getting close to harvest time but I forgot the things I should be doing. I remember reading about not watering them for a few weeks. Anything else I should be doing? And when should I pull them?

SOB
Green Thumb

I know you are supposed to slow down on the watering but I don't think you should completely stop. As for harvesting - wait until most the leaves turn brown and then pull them out, dry them completely and store them.

soil
Greener Thumb

Do some research on curing garlic there are some good websites out there. Curing them right could mean 3 months storage or 18 month.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I pulled one of my Oct planted garlic yesterday, just to see. It had a scape that was well curled, but leaves were still green. It had a bulb size that I would be proud of if it were an onion (I actually had to look twice to see if I had accidentally pulled an onion instead), but had not divided itself up into cloves yet.

This was NOT elephant garlic and I have no idea why it got so big.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah I got one plant of Elephant Garlic. I pulled one of the Garlic plants today (the runt). And it actually has a nice average size bulb. The other plants have a base about double or triple the size of this one. So I am thinking their bulbs are even bigger. I am gonna wait till July to pull those ones though. I put the pulled garlic in the garage to cure where it is cool and dark mostly, is that ideal? I read 4-6 weeks is the wait time, is that right?

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I guess the general rule of thumb is to pull them when you see alot of yellow leaves. I can't remember if you want 1/3 or 2/3 yellow but I just pull them when I see "alot of yellow".

As for curing, shoot, all I do is lay them in the sun for a few days. I roll them over daily and bring them in at night (and when it rains). I'm still using garlic that I harvested last year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”