Trutillo
Newly Registered

what are the best veggies

to assist with weight loss and energy for workouts...
gimme your suggestions

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Kale, Chard, Collards, Brussel sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, beets, carrots, celery.

luvthesnapper

any type of melon, peas, spinach, tomatoes, oranges, kiwi.....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Anything really colorful and not starchy... dark green leafies (like the kale, chard, spinach already mentioned), berries, apples, oranges, cherries, broccoli, tomatoes, carrots.

Also whole grains, and brans (oat bran, etc), flaxseed, garlic and onions.

sciencegal

rainbowgardener wrote: Also whole grains, and brans (oat bran, etc)
Those of us on paleo diets do not eat grain, whole or otherwise, or potatoes, or corn.

bwhite829

Leafy greens like cabbage, kale, mustards, collards, etc have the most nutrients than just about anything known to man...its crazy how packed they are, and not just with vitamins and minerals...the phytonutrients and antioxidants are just incredible. Thats why they will grow just about anywhere. Berries are also amazing. Squash has a good amount of protein for veggies and squash seeds are almost as good as nuts for the protein content. Alliums like onion and garlic are great for cleansing and do amazing stuff for blood. The lycopene in tomatoes is associated with reduced prostate cancers. Carrots have a great source of Vitamin A and Beta Carotene. If you are doing paleo you can't do the grains, legumes, or potatoes, but sweet potatoes and some white potatoes are allowed in the anabolic window if you are doing paleo for athletes. It really takes a mix of everything but if you are vegetarian I'd suggest supplement with protein, as without legumes and nuts you can't really get enough protein from veggies alone...it doesn't take the 1 g per lb of body fat that mainstream bodybuilding recommends but I think it does take more than the small amount that the outdated RDA. If you are eating paleo than you can forgo the legumes and you are getting plenty of protein through lean meats unless you are getting organic, then some fatty cuts are okay.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sciencegal wrote:
Those of us on paleo diets do not eat grain, whole or otherwise, or potatoes, or corn.
OP did not mention paleo diet. I understand the logic of eating more like our evolutionary ancestors, which is what our bodies evolved for. But I think you have to go far back in evolutionary history to get to a time when human beings did not make use of whole grains. We have teeth that are evolved to grind them.

Potatoes and corn are starchy and would be ruled out by what I said

Anything really colorful and not starchy

sciencegal

rainbowgardener wrote:
sciencegal wrote:
OP did not mention paleo diet. I understand the logic of eating more like our evolutionary ancestors, which is what our bodies evolved for. But I think you have to go far back in evolutionary history to get to a time when human beings did not make use of whole grains. We have teeth that are evolved to grind them.

Potatoes and corn are starchy and would be ruled out by what I said

Anything really colorful and not starchy
I know she didn't mention a paleo diet. I did. She asked about vegetables and vegetables are a very important part of a paleo diet.

Grain isn't a vegetable. Our ancestors did not have a diet highly focused on grain until the agricultural revolution. And, that isn't enough time to evolve to become a different type of food eater.

Few people can grow enough grain in their home gardens to center a diet around it.

If our teeth evolved to eat grain they would be the same as a horse or cow. They would continue to grow throughout our life. More importantly our digestive processes are not developed to efficiently handle a high grain diet.

I've followed the lifestyle of this guy for two years now. He does his research.

[url]https://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-grains/#axzz1wpdNqA8n[/url]

"Grains were certainly not any substantial part of the human diet prior to the Agricultural Revolution."

I just turned 60, lost more than 50 pounds over the last two years of no grain, no sugar. I'm not on any medication. Unloaded and stacked 70 bales of hay yesterday. Got another 50 to do today. Then I'm going to clean the barn, trim the feet of three goats, and then go out for a trail ride.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

The best diet you could probably ever eat is the raw food diet. I also don't buy into we are not supposed to eat grains or meat or whatever. There are arguments on both sides. But if you believe in evolution some species of humans did evolve to eat meat cause their regular food source was becoming scarce.

I think some foods in moderation are ok whether we are equipped to eat it or not. Obviously some things in excess are bad. The diets most people follow today are the reason there are obese people, high blood pressure, dibaetes and so on.

sciencegal

The human brain started to grow when humans started using fire. Cooking unlocks nutrients that humans can't get from raw food. Tomatoes is one that has a nutrient that you can only get if you cook them. If we had four stomachs like a cow in which huge colonies of bacteria process the raw food then supply the animal with nutrients and vitamins then that would be different. Except that we'd have to chew cud, which I'd pass on. Plus there is little raw food that can be eaten. I know some people who tried raw food diets. One woman kept fainting. Humans are not roughage eaters. We are protein eaters.

luvthesnapper

The human brain started to grow when humans started using fire.
These days, that all depends on who you are talking to.

dtlove129

I use to do marathons and so if you are wanting energy to fuel long workouts then ignore the paleo because I now do crossfit and that focuses on Paleo. I don't follow Paleo because I also disagree with it as far as eat all the fat you want. I don't care what my coaches at my gym state, that a bunch of saturated fat isn't good for the arteries.

So I tell you if you are doing long workouts then eat starches like sweet potatoes, and beans because those carbs and fiber fuel you for the long haul. If you are doing 30 minutes to 1 hours or less then don't sweat it just eat healthy. By healthy I mean eat any and all in moderation and just be smart about it. Any veggie you grow is going to be good for you including potatoes, but they spike your blood sugar, so should you eat them every meal?! probably not.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

What I like about veggies is that almost everyone can eat them: very few allergic reactions to true veggies (vs. processed foods, etc.), whereas nuts, legumes (esp. peanuts), dairy, shellfish, and others are allergens for many these days.

Not to derail this thread, but I've often wondered whether the plethora of food allergies these days really stems from the foods themselves or the antibiotics used on dairy animals and the toxins commonly used in farmed foods? ...

Anyway, just another argument for knowing as much as possible about where your food comes from *and* for eating leafy greens!

(BTW, ancient inhabitants of the Andean Uplands discovered the edible tubers which later became the cultivated potato. They ate the many varieties they discovered simply by digging them up and roasting them on slow fires. This doesn't qualify as part of a "Paleo" diet? thx for info)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

sciencegal wrote:The human brain started to grow when humans started using fire. Cooking unlocks nutrients that humans can't get from raw food. Tomatoes is one that has a nutrient that you can only get if you cook them. If we had four stomachs like a cow in which huge colonies of bacteria process the raw food then supply the animal with nutrients and vitamins then that would be different. Except that we'd have to chew cud, which I'd pass on. Plus there is little raw food that can be eaten. I know some people who tried raw food diets. One woman kept fainting. Humans are not roughage eaters. We are protein eaters.
Actually you should visit a few Raw Food forums. There is A LOT of fruits and veggies that can be eaten raw. There are tons of super healthy people on some of those raw food sites, some are even dietitians and health food experts. It sounds like your friend was going through a detox which is normal when you begin the diet and she/he didn't stick it through. I am not a 100% raw food dieter but I eat most of my fruits and veggies raw. Lots of raw fruits/veggies is a big part of my diet, and I do still eat some meat, mainly seafood and turkey/chicken.

The reason I think the Raw Food diet is the best there is cause it has results to back it up. So many people have lost weight, improved mental and physical health, got rid of ailments, and improved diabetes, blood pressure, and so many more health problems. And it is also one of the few where it is a diet where the weight stays off and the health benefits remain, it is more of a lifestyle rather than a diet.

Jeremy brua

The best vegies are what ever is in season. I don't buy many vegies from the store. Mist of the time they plain suck!

And for you guys on the palio diet all diet plans are roughly the same. Just stay away from the processed junk and get off youf butts. But if doing some "new" diet helps you get in shape then do it.

missymiss99

I lost 60 pounds from eating No processed food. :D So that means if the lord made it you eat it lol, ie; plants animals and brown or black rice also Ezechiel 4:9 bread. With that being said, I make the yummiest soup for my "snack meals" here it is: (this is a head of each) Swiss Chard, Collard Greens, Kale, Baby Bock Choi, Spinach, Zucchini, and 1 big Leek. Seasonings; Salt, Trader Joes 21 Seasoning Solute, 4-5 Cloves Garlic, And Braggs Liquid Aminos. Season to taste. you can blend it and eat it but I like it whole. serve it cold or hat how ever you like even finish off the broth. It makes you feel like you did a cleanse the first time you eat it. but in an awesome way. very filling. Hope it helps and you like it :D

luvthesnapper

Swiss Chard, Collard Greens, Kale, Baby Bock Choi, Spinach, Zucchini, and 1 big Leek. Seasonings; Salt, Trader Joes 21 Seasoning Solute, 4-5 Cloves Garlic, And Braggs Liquid Aminos. Season to taste. you can blend it and eat it but I like it whole. serve it cold or hat how ever you like even finish off the broth. It makes you feel like you did a cleanse the first time you eat it. but in an awesome way. very filling. Hope it helps and you like it"
So you're coming over and making this, right? You forgot to add that in your post.

bwhite829

there are lots of various diets out there with lots of research behind them. each one has advantages and disadvantages. just stay away from processed foods, HFCS, and high amounts of starches unless its before/after workouts and as was mentioned about long distance runners, starches can be great, as can fats. everybody's body is different. Some people can tolerate and burn through carbs of all kinds and not gain an ounce of weight and then people like me cannot tolerate carbs at all without balooning up. I ate mostly paleo until I lost my job then decided to go with legumes since they are a dirt cheap source of protein and can be mixed up to make complete proteins and I eat meat occasionally but unless its wild, not farm raised, seafood I don't buy it and just eat it at get togethers because of cost. I tended to overeat with the paleo diet and meat because I had the mental image that because it was meat and I was eating paleo I could eat all I want and I'd have acid reflux and workout performance would suffer even 3-4 hrs after eating. Now I typically eat a good blend of veggies, with some protein and a little bit of fat about an hr and a half before my workouts and I'm fine. If you could post up what kind of workouts that might help too. I'm doing a workout routine that is much higher volume than what my body's used to and trying to get back into shape after gaining 50 lbs of "newlywed weight" that I've gotten over thhe past 3 yrs and 5 weeks and I'm already getting back into my old eating/workout routines and noticing a huge difference in body composition.

sciencegal

PunkRotten wrote:
Actually you should visit a few Raw Food forums. There is A LOT of fruits and veggies that can be eaten raw.
Yeah, but a raw T-bone steak, raw salmon (well maybe sushi if you don't mind risking bacterial infections), or raw eggs. No thanks. I'll pass. The raw diet seems to be a trendy thing that only city people do.

About 80% or maybe even more of the food I eat I produce. I raise my own beef, poultry, eggs, goat milk, goat meat and live off my own veg's all year. Veg's raw or cooked in the summer, what I can preserve for the winter. I eat a lot of kale in the winter because it grows well here, is highly nutritious, and freezes well if you blanch it. How do you freeze veg's if you don't at least blanch them? Then they would no longer be raw. I don't eat much fruit (too much sugar) so only as a treat and because fruit doesn't grow well if at all here.

sciencegal

cynthia_h wrote:
(BTW, ancient inhabitants of the Andean Uplands discovered the edible tubers which later became the cultivated potato. They ate the many varieties they discovered simply by digging them up and roasting them on slow fires. This doesn't qualify as part of a "Paleo" diet? thx for info)

Cynthia H.
You have to look at the potato not the human that started eating it. The Andean potato was a whole different critter than the big-agri, mass produced modern potato which has been gentically modified to make better, crispier french fries. The Andean potato was found to have much [url=https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf0726583]higher levels of nutrients than modern potatoes[/url]. There are types of potatoes which are hard to find that have lower carbs and higher amounts of phenolic acids which discourage cancer growth. But, Russets which humans eat to the tune of something like millions of tons a day are nothing but big starch bombs.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

sciencegal wrote:
PunkRotten wrote:
Actually you should visit a few Raw Food forums. There is A LOT of fruits and veggies that can be eaten raw.
Yeah, but a raw T-bone steak, raw salmon (well maybe sushi if you don't mind risking bacterial infections), or raw eggs. No thanks. I'll pass. The raw diet seems to be a trendy thing that only city people do.

About 80% or maybe even more of the food I eat I produce. I raise my own beef, poultry, eggs, goat milk, goat meat and live off my own veg's all year. Veg's raw or cooked in the summer, what I can preserve for the winter. I eat a lot of kale in the winter because it grows well here, is highly nutritious, and freezes well if you blanch it. How do you freeze veg's if you don't at least blanch them? Then they would no longer be raw. I don't eat much fruit (too much sugar) so only as a treat and because fruit doesn't grow well if at all here.
It is a vegan diet no meat or eggs. Some people do freeze some produce but not all the time. Some just eat fresh produce only. Also nuts and seeds make up a big part of the diet too and they last pretty long on the shelves.

missymiss99

LOL! I would make it for you :D. I forgot to mention all you do is chop it up and put in in a pot and fill the pot of water to a little below the top
(room to boil). it is so easy. But no processed food is easy and great!

luvthesnapper

I forgot to mention all you do is chop it up and put in in a pot and fill the pot of water to a little below the top
(room to boil).
I was wondering what you used for stock. I could see some cayenne pepper going in also......

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

sciencegal wrote:
cynthia_h wrote:

Cynthia H.
You have to look at the potato not the human that started eating it. The Andean potato was a whole different critter than the big-agri, mass produced modern potato which has been gentically modified to make better, crispier french fries. The Andean potato was found to have much [url=https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf0726583]higher levels of nutrients than modern potatoes[/url]. There are types of potatoes which are hard to find that have lower carbs and higher amounts of phenolic acids which discourage cancer growth. But, Russets which humans eat to the tune of something like millions of tons a day are nothing but big starch bombs.
Ah. I can't remember when the last time was that I cooked/ate a Russet! I'm so spoiled, being able to choose varieties of spuds here in the Bay Area--and grow them, too! Fingerlings, So. American purple/red/"blue" varieties, Yukon Golds, Sierra Golds...most "waxy" types of spuds appeal to me; the fluffy starchy type not at all.

Thank you for the citation! :D

Cynthia

missymiss99

Cayenne would be good... I will try it next time :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”