bwhite829

lemon cucumbers?

anybody ever grow them? we tried them this year and I think I might ditch regular cucumbers all together unless we start pickeling. The lemon cucumbers are producing at about a 2:1 ratio of the regular cucumbers AND they are much easier to harvest because its alot easier to see a yellow ball compared to a green thing when they are under grass. Also, the lemon cucumbers are convenient size to make perfect cucumber chips out of with the excess.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

We grew them last year. We didn't love them, only because my kids like them peeled and they were a pain to peel because of their shape. And we'd wait too long to pick them because we were never sure when to pick them, then the seeds were too big. BAH! But, they tasted good! :)

bwhite829

I personally prefer them peeled. the skin seems thicker and waxier than regular cukes but I just love how easy they are to see and pick.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Don't give up entirely on the green ones! (Ever grow a Poona Kheera cucumber? No, I don't suppose brown fruits could be seen all that easily in the garden, either :).)

I've had lemon cucumbers each year for about 10 years. One thing, they are just a few days later than most of the other varieties that I grow. In fact here, they may not make a crop until about the 1st of September. There may be enuf of a cool-down at that time of the year, they won't have a very productive season.

Okay, that's not likely to be true in Florida . . .

Another thing, and especially if you think you don't really care about lemon cukes, try them before they turn yellow. Yeah, watch them and just as they become round - bring them into the kitchen.

I should say that I peel most everything. There's not much difference between peeling a lemon cucumber and an apple . . . But, the seeds that develop later, in the yellow cucumber, just aren't really there yet while the fruit is still green. Oh, and the "light green" fruit is still fairly easy to see :wink: in the garden.

Steve

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I like those lemon cukes. I could eat a couple out-of-hand like apples in one sitting.

and the peel's where most of the good stuff is!

bwhite829

digitS' wrote:Don't give up entirely on the green ones! (Ever grow a Poona Kheera cucumber? No, I don't suppose brown fruits could be seen all that easily in the garden, either :).)

I've had lemon cucumbers each year for about 10 years. One thing, they are just a few days later than most of the other varieties that I grow. In fact here, they may not make a crop until about the 1st of September. There may be enuf of a cool-down at that time of the year, they won't have a very productive season.

Okay, that's not likely to be true in Florida . . .

Another thing, and especially if you think you don't really care about lemon cukes, try them before they turn yellow. Yeah, watch them and just as they become round - bring them into the kitchen.

I should say that I peel most everything. There's not much difference between peeling a lemon cucumber and an apple . . . But, the seeds that develop later, in the yellow cucumber, just aren't really there yet while the fruit is still green. Oh, and the "light green" fruit is still fairly easy to see :wink: in the garden.

Steve
lol I read about the time of year you get them and then realized hwere u are...I was thinking "Man, whats wrong with his garden? I've been eating them for weeks already...."

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I'm growing them for the first time this year. Hopefully I'll have a few to try and give my opinion on ;D

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

We really like them, but they don't resist disease well. If you can't eat them all they make good pickles with the Ball dill pickle seasoning. Just add boiling vinegar and keep in the refrigerator, or use a boiling water bath to can them.

greenstubbs

I've been growing them for years, I really like them for their size. I don't have any yet but have tons of flowers so it won't be long.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

bwhite829 wrote: lol I read about the time of year you get them and then realized hwere u are...I was thinking "Man, whats wrong with his garden? I've been eating them for weeks already...."
Yeah, the first true leaves on my cucumber plants have filled out nicely.

And, I started them in the greenhouse :wink: !!!

Steve

albucsfan
Cool Member

Grew lemon cukes year before last, funny story, got the seeds, left them out & little man got ahold of the (5 yrs old @ the time) scattered some In a little Venus flytrap, was really surprised when they sprouted! Took them out & planted them, he loved those cucumbers!! Now he pretty much loves all cucumbers :D

albucsfan
Cool Member

Grew lemon cukes year before last, funny story, got the seeds, left them out & little man got ahold of the (5 yrs old @ the time) scattered some In a little Venus flytrap, was really surprised when they sprouted! Took them out & planted them, he loved those cucumbers!! Now he pretty much loves all cucumbers :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”