sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Got the clay plot garden in last night!

I was so bummed out because I had a really discouraging afternoon with my friends basically bailing on me and I was left on my own. So, I decided to go out there and see what I could do manually for my 30 tomato plants that I specifically grew for this garden. I started shoveling holes big and wide and deep, mixing it with stuff to make it nice (wasn't too difficult), then I got a phone call about 4 holes in :) one of my friends husbands bought a rototiller off the side of the road and was coming over. YEAH! So we got the tomatoes in, then did a bunch of seeds, melons, squash, pumpkins, gourds, beans, corn, cucumbers, etc. we got it done! just in time for the rain...

now it is supposed to rain FOUR inches of rain. I bet my tomatoes drown. bah! but it was either get them in, or let them die, they were getting too big for the tiny 50 cell thing, and it is supposed to rain all week AGAIN. they needed to get planted.

In the morning, I planted my friends garden for her. Had to shovel all the garden loam in. So between the two gardens, that was 5 1/2 hours of shoveling clay and loam. I am exhausted and sore!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow... I bet tired after all that, but what a nice thing to do.

Last weekend I worked with a disabled friend of mine, weeded and turned a 4x8' garden plot in her yard so she could plant things.

Those of us who continue to enjoy the great blessing of good health, should be mindful to watch out for the ones who don't. Turning a plot of ground can be such a great gift. My friend can do the maintenance gardening, just not the heavy work to get started.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I really enjoy it. I was in a really bad funky mood, and it put me into a good one :)

I just can't get over the amount of worms in the clay field. I've never seen to many worms in my life, it is insane! there is like one every 2 inches. chock full.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

good luck with it- hope it does well ;D

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

THanks!

MAN. we're having flooding in the area on some roads because of all the rain we are having right now. I hope I didnt' just drown the tomato plants I put in at the clay plot! yikes. They could be floating for all I know! I should check it out, but there isn't anything I can do about it anwyays. AHHHHH!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Relax and enjoy the rain. I think the tomatoes will be OK.

ACW

In London we have a hose pipe ban ,so watering my little patch is difficult to say the least .
However today we have had the Queens Jubilee river pageant ,and in true British style there has been a down pour and it looks like good rain for the next few weeks .
Should swell out my broad beans and tomatoes .
If you folks have a chance there should be some TV coverage of the Thames flotilla; well worth seeing !

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Awesome, hopefully they're ok! so far we got nearly 5 inches of rain over the past 2 days. it isn't done yet! the rivers are going nuts.

SOB
Green Thumb

Send some of that rain my way please! :D

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I totally wish I could! because right now I want it to GO! :) we do need it, we had a really dry winter and the lakes are really low. but now they're catching up, finallY!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”