denny27

bush beans don't end up as bush beans, what to do?

I purchased some Fordhook Lima bean seeds this year. They were supposed to be a bush variety but they are not. I'm not sure what I can set up to support them as I was not planning for this. They are planted in an area that is about 4' by 6'. If anybody has any ideas I would appreciate it.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Last year, I planted some ford hook lima beans in a container and used tomato cages for support, so they could wrap around. It worked quite well!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

There was a time I would go out to the Mississippi River and cross the levee to the river side and cut willow branches to use for a cheap trellis framework.

I'd take 3 or 4 of them and stick one end in the ground and tie the tops together like a tepee. With that small an area you'd only need 6-8 of them to make 2 tepees for the beans to crawl up on.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yep! Bean poles from willow shoots work great if you have a place you can cut them. If not, go to a lumber supply store and buy a bundle of furring strips. They are 1x2 pine boards. You can sharpen one end with a hatchet and push them in the ground and tie the tops of 4 to make tee pees.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/pole_beans.jpg[/img]

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Yep! Bean poles from willow shoots work great if you have a place you can cut them. If not, go to a lumber supply store and buy a bundle of furring strips. They are 1x2 pine boards. You can sharpen one end with a hatchet and push them in the ground and tie the tops of 4 to make tee pees.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/pole_beans.jpg[/img]
That picture looks exactly like my garden about 10 years ago, before I put in a trellis of lumber and hog wire.

Just like it---------well, with the exception of not having at least 4 neighbors houses, fences, banana trees and those huge lumps coming from the ground in the background of the picture over the tops of the beans. :wink: :wink:

2 Green Thumbs

The beans and peas I planted are supose to be bush type, the beans were blue lake bush but the are growing the stringy type things that grab onto stuff does this mean they are not bush type beans????

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”