btrowe1

Help!!! Area of my garden over leach field..

Hello,
A small section of my garden is over my leach field.It is a a newly added section and lately I have noticed that the small amout of crops in this area are falling way behind their counter parts on the other side of the rows, :( The plants that are having a hard time are 2 cabbages, 2 bruissel sprouts and some onions, the onions are about 1/2 the size as the other 3/4s of the row. I've added some mulch to this area and worked it in around the plants is there anything else I can add to possibly bring this area back? I know these vegetables are stunted I might even lose the cabbages. Should I work in some bagged soil and start new with the cabbage area.?? and just spread the bagged soil around the others.

Thanks as always. I have some tomato tone could this work on these as well..

Jeremy brua

I don't think your garden being over your leach would cause any problems. They are usualy very deep in the ground.

btrowe1

don't know maybe my poo is strong, just strange of all the area I added this one is right above the field and the only spot things are looking a little ruff so to say..

Jeremy brua

The leach lines should be atleast 3' deep at the very minimum. But most likely they are deeper. Unless the yard drops away from the house.

You could use some ridex(sp) in your septic.

btrowe1

I figure the soil isn't amended enough and these plants are going to be my test for next year, bought some miracle grow soil with manure and I am going to remove the cabbage and brussels and rework the soil, Its going to rain hard tonight so it'll all get worked in. Then I'll plant something like a tomato or pepper. it's going to get warm here soon so.
Next year will be better for this new section, the things we learn.

SOB
Green Thumb

If anything the plants should be growing better because of the "fertilizer" in the ground. You mentioned that this is a newly added section so it probably behind because it lacks all the amendments and organic material the rest of the garden has had over the years.

The concern I would have is eating veggies that have been growing in an area where carnivorous excrement has been leached into the ground - especially root crops. There are bacteria that can be very harmful if ingested. You may want to do a little reading on this matter...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”