sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Goat manure with pine shavings.. risky for my acid soil?

will the acid in the pine shavings be too risky for my acid soil that I am trying to raise the pH of? the goat manure is not fully composted, I'd say perhaps half way? I want to use it this year (I've read online that goat manure can be used uncomposted), but IDk, do I need to get that horse manure instead? I just didn't want to inconvenience the lady with her truck...

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

oh bummer! I thought you guys would know... hmm. maybe I need to do some experimenting

sciencegal

You could probably search on posts about using goat manure since I'm sure I've commented on it in the past.

I raise dairy goats and use a goat manure mulch around most of the veg's. There is an area in the pens where the manure is mixed with broken-down hay. Goats are notorious hay wasters. I use an inch thick layer of this as a mulch to hold in water in my arid environment even around tomatoes. Everything does very well. I have neighbors come over and haul off 50 gallon containers of this stuff every year. I also make a goat manure tea once in awhile.

It's not really composted since it doesn't get wet except from goat pee. The little goat berries are hard so they break down very slowly. I think you can use it without composting it.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Right, you don't have to compost it, I read that.. but what I am wondering, is because I have really acid soil that I am trying to fix, is the acidity of the pine shavings going to mess that up? because I also read that the acidity changes after it is composted. or are the pine shavings not that big of a deal if it is already partially broken down? or because it is mixed with the manure, does that change it enough?

sciencegal

I did a google search on the acidity of pine shavings. It appears that pine shavings are not that acidic. Just because pine trees live in acidic soil doesn't mean that shavings are acidic.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ok, thanks!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”