lisaz10
Newly Registered

Watering Newly Planted Corn

I planted some corn last week. I'm in zone 7b and all I can find is 2" of water per week. I will be using a garden hose to water. I've been trying to find any info to convert those 2" but at a dead end. I live in Redding CA and the temp is nearing 100. Can anyone tell me how often and how much watering I should be doing???

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Corn is a very thirsty plant and likes a lot of water. I water more when they are producing ears. I haven't watered at all this week since it's been raining a lot. If it's 100 deg and no humidity I would water once a day til the soil is saturated and puddling a little. Twice a day is probably a bit much. But your corn might even do well every other day.

bcallaha
Cool Member

I use a sprinker to water my corn. I sit a rain guage in the patch, and when I get 1" of water in the guage, I shut it off. I try to make sure my corn gets 1" of water each week.....rainwater or sprinkler.

Brad

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

bcallaha wrote:I use a sprinker to water my corn. I sit a rain guage in the patch, and when I get 1" of water in the guage, I shut it off. I try to make sure my corn gets 1" of water each week.....rainwater or sprinkler.

Brad
Using the rain gauge and sprinkler is a good method. I would recommend doing 1/2" twice a week though, or even .33" 3 times a week instead of all of your water at once. I would also do it before noon. Don't want it to sit wet overnight.

lisaz10
Newly Registered

Thank you so much all. I will give it a try. I figured corn was pretty hardy...xx :)

dtlove129

Lisa:

I probably watered my corn more than I should have the past 2 weeks and that is because I got a new drip system put in my corn and wanted to test it. A lot of farmers really say that a dry period is good for young corn. It makes them extend their roots down in search of water and makes stronger roots. So a lot of my young stuff I don't water a whole lot until I know the ground is dry deep below so that the roots have to work for some water.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

lisaz10 wrote:Thank you so much all. I will give it a try. I figured corn was pretty hardy...xx :)
corn definitely is tough! However, in my experience, if it does find itself in conditions that make it wilt, or in some other way weaken, it is slow to recover. It take a lot to rattle corn, but if it is rattled, they get moody........at least for me.

bcallaha
Cool Member

I'm a deep water guy myself. I like to sprinkle less often, but more water when I do sprinkle. My theory is that a deep watering less often will encourage plant roots to reach deeper for the water, but at the same time not deprive the plants of water. I feel that you loose less water to evaporation when you soak the soil deeper than the top 2 inches of soil.

JMHO.....

Brad

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I think it is going to depend a lot on the soil, humidity and weather conditions. I sprinkle my garden with rainbirds spaced 40 feet. I run the system once a week for 12 hours. It will put down 1.5 inches. That works here with the soil and weather conditions we have. The whole garden gets the same. Summer rains are rare.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”