SOB
Green Thumb

Watering and Weed Control - Overhead vs In-Ground

I think we all know that drip irrigation is the most efficient way of watering when talking about amount of amount of water used. It may be pricey but that's not what I want to debate here. The reason for this post is to talk about the two different types of watering methods (Overhead vs In-ground) and the effects on weed growth and weed control.

I would like to put in an in-ground (drip or soaker) system but I am worried about needing to weed around the lines and possibly damaging the lines with a hoe or tiller. I understand that with the in ground systems there may be less weeds because you are not broadcasting the water everywhere, just at the base of the plants. I also understand that with mulching around plants the weeds can be taken care of. BUT we all know things can get out of control and the use of garden tools near the plants are sometimes necessary.

Please share your thoughts, experiences, etc. Thanks!

rkunsaw

I'm probably in the minority here but I hate soaker hoses. They take for ever to get enough water to the plants, they are always in the way getting cut into, plant roots growing around them,etc.

My experience with the drip system hasn't been much better. They are constantly stopping up or coming apart.

Everybody likes rain so I like to water from the same direction.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

I love my drip system. I had (and will have again) ~30 pumpkin plants and a bunch of tomatoes on plug-in [url=https://www.amazon.com/Raindrip-124010B-10-Count-Flag-Drippers/dp/B0007WLGUE/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338400987&sr=8-2-spell]flag drippers[/url], and I have 4 x 25' rows of corn on "[url=https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Drip-R292D-Long-Length/dp/B0000DI7Z8/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1338401013&sr=1-1]drip-a-long[/url]" hoses, and it's all on a multi-timer system.

I haven't had any troubles with clogging, and weeding around them is pretty much a non-issue because I have so few weeds. In Los Angeles we get zero rain between April and September, so the only water in the garden is what I put into it.

I pull it all up in the fall so the winter grasses and weeds don't grow over it, and then put it back down in the spring/summer.

It's made my gardening a _lot_ more productive, both in the health of my plants and in the reduction in time spent.

This year I also bought a [url=https://www.amazon.com/Add-It-fertilizer-injector-breaker-capacity/dp/B00065266U/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1338401200&sr=1-1]fertilizer injector[/url] that goes in-line with my drip system, and I'm liking the results.

dtlove129

I'm with waterbug. I just installed drip system all in my garden, and you can see pics of my garden a few posts below this. I love mine too and am so glad I did it this year because we have been dry. I haven't had any issues with clogs or anything. My only concern is the end of the year and taking it apart and storing it because I have drip tape on 5 75foot rows (easy to take apart and roll up this), but the rest of my garden I have probably 15 25 foot rows of drip hoses which are put together a whole lot harder and aren't as foldable or roll-upable haha (made that word up).

As far as weeding I have put down newspaper and straw or grass clippings around most of my plants, but I still take a hoe to it or pull things by hand when walking through the garden. I figured if I control the weeds well now then when the tomatoes, corn, etc are larger they will help shade out the weeds anyhow.

I also think it is better because you don't have to worry as much about fungus and sun scorching and stuff when the water sits on the leaves. Also I know I will save money in the long run with the system by not watering the 2 feet in between all my rows, evaporation or the wind blowing all the sprinkler water away.

SOB
Green Thumb

I was thinking of going the soaker hose route instead of drip because it seems to be much easier. Soaker hose you just lay down around your veggies and turn it on. Drip you have hose, emitters, etc and since the garden layout is always changing how do you change the drip pattern? Maybe I don't know enough about drip irrigation but I thought once it was set (meaning emitters placed into the hose) that there was no changing it. If anyone has a good guide on designing a drip irrigation system I would love to read it.

Also, like rkinsaw said how do you keep the emitters from clogging up? I plan on running these lines under straw/grass clippings and I would never know if some emitters decided to clog up.

Am I correct in saying that weeds are a lot less of a problem when you are only watering where the veggies are and not broadcasting everywhere?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I would love to have a drip irrigation system, but I "rotate" my crops every year and would have to rearrange the drip spouts and tubes every year. Soaker hoses may be a pain also except they may be the lesser pain. Overhead watering is only a last resort both on a plant health and water conservation standpoint.

And I know, I know, rain is almost always overhead watering, but if you have to water, the least amount getting to weeds and evaporating before it hits the ground the better. Remember, a good mulching program cuts down on watering frequency.

dtlove129

Paul, I'm going to rotate too, and have already thought about it. It will be a pain, but I figured hey early in the year I don't have much more to do besides plant so I have time to rearrange it on a Saturday and put it back together like a puzzle.

I made the mistake this year and my connections are really tight. They sell "T" connections that screw apart, so when I put it back together next year I'm going to use those to make life easier on myself each year.

SOB
Green Thumb

PaulF wrote:I would love to have a drip irrigation system, but I "rotate" my crops every year and would have to rearrange the drip spouts and tubes every year.
That's exactly what my concern with drip irrigation is. Do people not rotate their plants? Do they completely tear it apart every year? Sounds like a big pain...

Gustav
Cool Member

I used 460 drippers for my watermelons last year with great success.
just make sure they don't lie in the soil directly, rather raise it somehow. I had 4 drippers that clogged up & that was that.

Here is a pic of some of my drippers I used.
Note that this pic is before I raised the drippers.

[img]https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w415/Gustavvanderwalt/61520_159587940721909_100000121121485_547691_3834612_n.jpg[/img]

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

SOB wrote:
PaulF wrote:I would love to have a drip irrigation system, but I "rotate" my crops every year and would have to rearrange the drip spouts and tubes every year.
That's exactly what my concern with drip irrigation is. Do people not rotate their plants? Do they completely tear it apart every year? Sounds like a big pain...
Reconfiguration isn't that difficult. The fittings pull apart with some effort, but it's not too difficult.

You can also cut and splice using the couplers, which are about a buck apiece, so you don't feel like you're wasting too much money.

The drippers can be pulled out and the holes plugged with the available hole plugs (few bucks for a pack of 20), and a 9/10 times the hole doesn't leak. If it does, cut out that 1" of hose and put a coupler in there.

This is my third year with the drip system, and I'd never go back.

dtlove129

Have to agree with Waterbug. I don't mind putting it back together after winter with plants in new locations. I mean a couple of hours work and I have it all back together, and if I someone afraid of a little work I probably wouldn't garden for a hobby anyhow because every part of it is work from tilling, to hoeing, etcl.

Gustav
Cool Member

That's right. I will never use something else. Drippers save ALOT of water, focusses where the water is needed & thus keeps weed growth to a minimum.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”