applestar
Mod

Post about non-gardening tools you use in the garden here :)

In reference to a scuffle/action hoe [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=258539#258539]in another thread[/url], I said:
I'm also thinking I'd like a short handled one, but might opt for a circle hoe. I do have a Japanese offset hoe that is really great.
-- the thing is all of these are designed to be used at a certain angle on weeds that are away from you.

I'm needing another kind that would work on ground right near me when I DON'T want to uproot them -- I think collinear hoe is designed to be used upright (I.e. immediately beneath where you are standing)
Well, I was looking for such a tool at a local garden center and wandered into a pet section (I didn't even know they had one) and my eyes lit upon a tool -- a sturdy flat metal loop, jagged on one edge, smooth on the other with a short handle. it was $7 so I bought it.

I took it on a test drive yesterday and today and it works GREAT!
The flat loop allows you to reach between plants without hurting them and even "lasso" weeds growing close to your plants, jagged edge can be used to pull/tear off weeds at ground level. The flat edge, though not sharpened like a knife, is thin enough, sturdy enough, machined edge corners sharp enough to skim just below the soil surface just like scuffle hoe, and it's very effective for the areas right beneath you since at that point, you're holding the flat blade of the loop parallel to the ground so just the top curve is "hoeing" the ground .

I found it also useful for creating little furrows, sowing seeds, and then pushing and pulling loose soil over the seeds.

For some reason, I can't copy links at the moment on my iPad, but it's called a "shedding blade" and the one I got is for large dogs or horses.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

That shedding blade is a good idea. I'll have to look for one at Tractor Supply.

I can't think of many non-garden tools that I use, except for a dinner fork to get small weeds between seedlings. I also use a spoon to plant onion sets and and garlic cloves. I guess you could count the turkey baster I use to water the seeds that I start indoors (it helps avoid knocking the seedlings over with the water).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Most frequent is just scissors.. use the regular household scissors for deadheading, harvesting, sometimes even light pruning, etc.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

OOOh, these are some great ideas! I never would have thought of a fork for small weeds between plants.

and I've been wanting a circle hoe, but they're super expensive. that is a great idea!

nedwina

I use a fair bit of non gardening tools in the garden. An artist's palette knife comes in handy for prepping/counting seeds and it will fit perfectly down the side of a 128 cell to loosen & pop the seedling out.

I have a few mid sized serrated knives for weeding dandelions & other tap root weeds. And a big honkin' bread knife which is good for sawing Pro Mix bales into chunks and for dividing badly overdue perennials. That knife is key in my method of starting onions. I make 28x20x5 wooden boxes with removable sides, so after they get to be a good size I just lift off the sides and cut the "onion cake" into squares & plop an onion with a chunk of soil (& their roots in good shape!) into the hole when it's transplant time.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I use a big ol' kitchen knife for weeding and whatnot, and a meat-carver's fork (the kind with two strong tines) for pulling dandilions and other taprooted things. Most of the rest of my garden tools are actually meant to be garden tools.....

Markolal

I use an electric transformer for electrifying a fence around my raised beds to keep the critters out. It was originally meant for an invisible barrier for someone's pets. Of course, there is the occassional ski pole and old golf club shaft doing tomato plant support work now.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”