btrowe1

Is this a tall tale or true.....

I was told by a master gardener ( wise older gentlemen ) that his secret to keeping borer worms off his zucchinis and cucumbers is to plant radishes in the middle of the hills and to leave them be, no touch, go to seed.. keeps the criters away.. Any one ever try this, any one ever hear of this. could this be a true gardners gem of a secret that is now being shared? With a younger generation of gardner..

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I just Googled it and found this:

RADISH:

One of the workhorses for the garden. Companions for radishes are: radish, beet, bush beans, pole beans, carrots, chervil, cucumber, lettuce, melons, nasturtium, parsnip, peas, spinach and members of the squash family.

Why plant radishes with your squash plants? Radishes may protect them from squash borers. Anything that will help keep them away is worth a try. Radishes are a deterrent against cucumber beetles and rust flies.

Chervil and nasturtium improve radish growth and flavor. Planting them around corn and letting them go to seed will also help fight corn borers.

Chinese Daikon and Snow Belle radishes are favorites of flea beetles. Plant these at 6 to 12 inch intervals amongst broccoli. In one trial, this measurably reduced damage to broccoli.

Radishes will lure leafminers away from spinach. The damage the leafminers do to radish leaves does not stop the radish roots from growing, a win-win situation.

Keep radishes away from hyssop plants, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and turnips.

btrowe1

So this is a TRUE, WOW :o we're like myth busters... I'm already heading out the door to plant the seeds..

Wise old gardners are always worth their weight in cukes in zuc's..
:D

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I think I will try this this year! once I get my squash in, I'll sprinkle some radish seeds. its worth a try anyways! radhish seeds are cheap enough.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah... I don't plant radishes because I don't like them, but if this would work, I will ALWAYS plant radish!

applestar
Mod

I suspect the flowers attract beneficial insects that prey on the moths and the borers. Interesting idea. I think cilantro would also work since they grow easily from seed and bolt in the heat.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ya knwo what?? I just remembered. my neighbors planted radishes to ward off pests last year. they were told to let it flower and don't touch it. I'll have to ask them how it went. it was the kids first garden :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”