Crabgrass
Newly Registered

Walnut tree in my garden :(

Greetings from Denver! Last year I decided to repurpose out wooden privacy screen for a raised garden bed. I had the perfect spot, lots of sun and existing shrubbery and a tree to act as a wind break. My tomatoes did ok, as well as my hoy peppers. Around September I started noticing strange green pods in the garden, which turned out to be walnuts. Didn't think anymore about it and happily replanted my garden this year... Moving my tomatoes against the fence and closer to the walnut. Guess what I just found out... Nightshades +walnuts=bad news:( so my bed is raised about two feet off the ground and filled with soil and compost that I had delivered. I water frequently due to the lack of rain here. So my question is, "am I doomed?" should I yank out the tomatoes and grow less affected squash instead? Please advise... I am new to gardening, but I rather enjoy it and I am looking forward to fresh tomatoes this summer!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It has been said that nightshades do not do well near Black Walnut trees. How close are your plantings to the tree? If they are 60 feet or so away, I think they will do fine. If closer, you may do well to move them.

Crabgrass
Newly Registered

jal_ut wrote:It has been said that nightshades do not do well near Black Walnut trees. How close are your plantings to the tree? If they are 60 feet or so away, I think they will do fine. If closer, you may do well to move them.
They are planted right under the tree.... They grew last year though. Unfortunately my yard isn't big enough to get 60 feet away :(

Jeremy brua

My dads garden has always been next to a black walnut tree with out any problem. I think I'm not sure but the tanins from the leaves and husks from the walnuts might mess up the PH. If your beds are 2' tall I don't think the roots will go feep enough to cause a problem. IMO but I'm not a pro.

bangstrom

Walnut trees produce a natural herbicide. I have never noticed a problem with walnuts in wet climates but they are a problem in dry. In some places not even grass will grow near a walnut tree.

https://www.cirrusimage.com/Tree_black_walnut.htm

"The roots of Black Walnut (Juglans nigra L.) andButternut (Juglans cinerea L.) produce a substance known as juglone (5-hydroxy-alphanapthaquinone), that inhibits the growth of many adjacent plants,... [3]... including Scots Pine, Birch, Basswood, apple trees, grapes, and hydrangea. This herbicide is contained in the tree's roots, leaves and nut husks, and the residue remains in the soil for years even after the tree has been removed. However, there are plants admirably resistant to juglone, and they can be grown reliably even underneath this hardy tree."

PLANTS SENSITIVE TO BLACK WALNUT TOXICITY
Annuals and vegetables: asparagus, cabbage, eggplant, flowering tobacco, pepper, petunia, potato, tomato

Plants tolerant of juglone: beans, beet, carrot, corn, melon, onion, parsnip, squash.
https://hort.uwex.edu/articles/black-walnut-toxicity

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the info bangstrom. I always wondered why I have so little trouble planting things (not veggies) next to my black walnut, but I live in a (usually) very wet climate.

But why would you want to plant veggies under a tree (any tree)? It seems like juglone aside, the tree would shade the veggies, which almost universally like full sun. Maybe it's a very small tree, in which case the juglone is probably less of an issue also...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”