luvthesnapper

Ideas To Fix My Rain Barrel....

I'm no plumber, I'll just say that. I bought a spigot, drilled a hole in the barrel, wrapped it in thread lock tape, and put caulk on the outside to seal it from leaking. Well, the spigot wants to turn in place, and has broken the caulk seal. You really have to turn down on it, to turn the water off completely, and it eventually broke the caulk seal.

Need some ideas to fix it. Something that won't have the spigot trying to rotate in the bucket, when I go to turn the water off.

I use grommets for my hydro buckets and I totally wanted to do that, but I can't find big grommets that will fit the spigot. The "pvc into grommet" never leaks, and it's not even caulked.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I had a hard time figuring out how I was going to do what you are describing before I found barrels with threaded caps. I assume you have a plastic barrel. If you use a "hose bib" for the spigot, it has two holes for mounting screws. That would keep it from twisting. The best way to do it would be with a nut and rubber washers on the back of the spigot. The trouble with that is somehow you have to reach inside the barrel to put the nut on. If the lid doesn't come off, you can't get in it unless you cut it open. I was thinking that I would tape a pipe on to my vice grips and reach through the opening for the downspout to accomplish that.

I would use clear silicone instead of caulk, but it has to dry for a few days before it can get wet.

By the way, I think I came across a kit made just for this somewhere. You might find one with a Google search.

Also, if you can't find the right size rubber washers, you can cut your own from a roll of gasket maker (probably cork would be best).

ruggr10
Green Thumb

What about that spray rubber sealant they show on tv. Home depot has it.

luvthesnapper

ruggr10 wrote:What about that spray rubber sealant they show on tv. Home depot has it.
I appreciate it, but it's more about the problem with the spigot turning, and the seal breaking. I need to stop the spigot from wanting to rotate, when I crank on it. I used silicone caulk, and the seal was great.
I would use clear silicone instead of caulk
Oh I did. Used GE 100% silicone, from Lowe's. Think it was $4.97. I call everything caulk, for some reason.
The best way to do it would be with a nut and rubber washers on the back of the spigot.
I can reach inside my barrel. It has no lid. I simply cut screen from an old screen door I never got around to re-screening, and used bungee cords around the bucket to hold it on, as a filter for the rainwater coming off the roof.

You mean put the rubber washer on first, then put the nut on and tighten it down real well? Do you think that would help with it wanting to rotate?

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Yeah, depending on the design of the spigot, you may be able to get it tight enough with the nut to hold it. I was thinking of rubber washers both on the inside and the outside of the barrel. If that alone makes a good seal, you won't need more silicone.

It really depends on how the spigot is designed. You might get the nut on all the way and still not have a tight fit. A hose bib is the best thing I can think of.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

This is what I mean by a "hose bib". You can see the slot for a screw and there is one on the other side. This one has female threads in the back and I would assume you could get them with male threads. If not, you could thread a nipple coupling into the back for the nut.

[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/abaction/100_2306.jpg[/img]

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

if the hose bibb is threaded, it worked best for me to use a paddle bit to make a hole about 1/4 too small for the bibb, then heat up the hole with a little propane torch, and when the plastic just starts to get soft (about 5 or 10 seconds) push the bibb in it and start turning. The resulting fit is so snug you don't even need thread seal tape. his worked for me on 6 in a row.

But since you're probably not looking to buy another barrel, just melt some plastic around the edges to seal it and then add some screws to hold it in place. Get self tapping screws and if u can, caulk them or get the rubber washer and nuts on the back as stated before. But when I applied as originally described, I didn't need any screws to hold it in place. The threading on the bibb should do that for you.

bg
Cool Member

How about getting one that has a lever to turn on and off the water? We have one on the side of our house, the water can be turned on by the main wheel, and still be turned on and off by the lever. Looks like it is an add on to the main spigot, actually.

Instead of turning the huge wheel, that goes parallel to the main body of the rain barrel, the lever should be perpendicular turning toward and away. As long as you have a good seal, I think that should work fine. Either way, good luck ;3

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”