jpaulwhite
Newly Registered

Anyone know what is wrong with this sick tomato plant

I think it is about 6-8 weeks old. Bought from a local grower. I cut the top off and replanted. Hopefully they'll survive. These are one of the few yellow tomato plants I have. Thanks,

[img]https://dclimo.dyndns.org:8069/shelli-rae/pictures/tomato_sick.jpg[/img]

jpaulwhite
Newly Registered

Marlingardener wrote:jpaul, could you place the tomato on a piece of white paper and take a close-up of it? It's kind of hard to see against that pretty patio table. A close-up of one leaf would help, also.
Thanks! Will do as soon as I get home in about an hour.

Thanks!

jpaulwhite
Newly Registered

jpaulwhite wrote:
Marlingardener wrote:jpaul, could you place the tomato on a piece of white paper and take a close-up of it? It's kind of hard to see against that pretty patio table. A close-up of one leaf would help, also.
Thanks! Will do as soon as I get home in about an hour.

Thanks!
How does this pic do

[img]https://dclimo.dyndns.org:8069/shelli-rae/pictures/tomato_sick2.jpg[/img]

jpaulwhite
Newly Registered

Ok I fixed the new picture. Sorry I couldn't get any better. None of the leaves looked bad other than being a little yellow. Lemme take a quick pic

jpaulwhite
Newly Registered

Ok,
Here's a pic of the tops after I cut them off and replanted them. There were some dying leaves below these tops but the leaves did not have any of the white stuff on there

[img]https://dclimo.dyndns.org:8069/shelli-rae/pictures/garden/leaf.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm really confused what happened here, but the white stuff on the stem is mold and the stem looks rotten and moldy.

Was it like that before you cut the top of the plant off?

It looks like you cut this stem with leaves off and stuck it in water or very wet soil and so the stem rotted and molded and so of course the leaves are yellowing and dying.

What were you trying to do and why did you cut the top of the plant off?

Was this an attempt at propagating by cuttings?

SOB
Green Thumb

Rainbow - I believe what happened is the tomato had that molding on the stem so they cut the top off and is trying to get the top to root as to not lose the tomato plant.

Was that moldy portion at soil level or well above the ground?

jpaulwhite
Newly Registered

SOB wrote:Rainbow - I believe what happened is the tomato had that molding on the stem so they cut the top off and is trying to get the top to root as to not lose the tomato plant.

Was that moldy portion at soil level or well above the ground?
Correct!

Moldy portion was above the soil line

The tops are looking pretty bad this morning, no mold just very yellow. Hope I don't lose em arrgghhhhhh

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Did you cut all the moldy/ rotten stuff off before you planted them?

Did you use any rooting hormone?

The secret to starting cuttings is humidity. The cutting has no roots, so in the usual way of things it would just die, because it has no way to uptake water and nutrients. If you keep it in a very humid environment out of direct sunlight, you give it its best shot at growing some roots in time to save it. A 2 liter soda bottle with the bottom cut off makes a decent humidity dome. Water the cutting well and put it under the dome.

But I don't know what the chances are, it was a very sick plant to start with.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”