GardenRN
Greener Thumb

first beans of 2012

Just thought I'd share...

Never grown purple snaps before, these are the first beans of my 2012 season :)

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/grnpez/firstbeans2012.jpg[/img]

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Oh, they look lovely! How did they taste?

Kenzie

Very nice! I considered some purples this year but wasn't sure about the taste so I chickened out an stuck with green.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

SPierce wrote:Oh, they look lovely! How did they taste?
I ate a few tiny ones when they were only about 2" long. They tasted just like the green ones. I'm going to cook them tonight. I always give the firsts to the lady of the house. She puts up with all of my crazy gardening ideas and my demolition and reorganization of the back yard, crazy "reduce, reuse recycle" gardening junk in the yard and always coming home with stuff I probably shouldn't have spent the $10 on all year long and never complains or gives me a funny look. :) She deserves the creme of the crop!

I'll get her opinion tonight after dinner. :)

albucsfan
Cool Member

We did purple snaps last year & didn't notice any real taste difference from green ones. Kids love watching them turn green as they cooked... Unfortunately the rabbits seemed to like them better and better half classed them as " weird stuff" so just green ones this year. They are easier to see before they get huge tho..

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

YES! Just yesterday my daughter asked if we could look for beans to eat, I only found a couple very small ones for her. Then I was training a couple of the wild vines when I noticed one big one.....then another, and another. All the sudden I had a handful! I kinda like when it works out like that though :) It's a nice surprise after all the work you put in.

In the back of my mind I was wondering why I had seen a bunch of flowers and not a load of beans lol. Now I know why!

RogueRose
Green Thumb

PRETTY!

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

She likes 'em better than the kentucky wonder beans.....so next year we're doing both. The ONLY thing I don't like about em is that they're bush beans. I much prefer pole beans. But we can make room for both. :wink:

She made me try one....they were pretty darn good! Boiled about 5 minutes and lightly salted.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice. My beans just came up. You are way ahead of me.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I got a few bush beans up now. I see a few flowers starting to form. Mine are the royal burgundy which look like yours. I also planted a few more beans now that just popped up. Trying some blue lake and mellow yellow beans.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Mine were royal burgundy as well. I did those, kentucky wonder (pole), and asparagus, also called yard long beans. For some reason though, even though they are all growing together, the aphids went directly for the yard longs and left the others alone. So those ar not doing as well right now. I am partly looking at those as what I call a "decoy crop" right now.

albucsfan
Cool Member

GardenRN wrote:She likes 'em better than the kentucky wonder beans.....so next year we're doing both. The ONLY thing I don't like about em is that they're bush beans. I much prefer pole beans. But we can make room for both. :wink:

She made me try one....they were pretty darn good! Boiled about 5 minutes and lightly salted.
I may be hallucinating but I'm almost sure I saw purple pole beans in someone's catalog.... Maybe baker creek?? Might be worth looking for... I know that the most "help" I got last year was both kids looking for purple beans.... Then demanding that they be cooked NOW! So they could watch them... :lol:

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Ha...at least they wait. My kids just pluck and eat raw. And that goes for the carrots, beans, snow peas, lettuce....

But if them picking and eating a bunch of veggies is my biggest problem with the three kids, I got nothin to worry about :wink:

I'll have to look for those purple pole beans. I wonder if they're stringless. Brooke hates the strings, and I hate peeling them. For some reason it doesn't bother me to just eat the stings on beans. I know a lot of people don't like it though.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm just going to be planting beans this weekend, because I waited for the fall planted spinach to be done, to make room for them... Hope mine come out as nice!

whiterecluse89
Newly Registered

My sister planted a bag of pinto beans this year.:earlier this morning as we were making our rounds to check on our plants, she lets out an ear piercing squeal, I turn around to check on her just to find her bouncing up and down. She found her first little bean pods :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”