sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

any idea WHY my property is fungusville?

every year I get a surplus of fungus issues. early blight, and other veggie things. Now I got fruit trees and I have peach leaf curl, and something going on with my pear tree too. and I have lady slippers everywhere and those need a special fungus to live LOL. plus lets not mention the mushrooms all over the place. I don't understand. We have sun everywhere, we don't live in the shade. why all the fungus?? and is there anything I can do about it? The garden was one thing, but now the fruit trees and it is one more battle. Starting to get a bit frustrated. ideas?

mscratch

fruit trees are alot of work in Maine..I know this..I mean you have to have a regular spraying cycle going and watch for the buds and the temps to do the spraying and you must apply dormant spray also in the Spring at the correct outside temp. If you are using homemade mulch then you will get mushrooms..the spores are unreal in that state..lol.. if you have neighbors that have fruit tree disease your gonna get it too.. I think you probably should have started on a prevention program as soon as the trees were planted or if by chance you inherited them from a previous owner..what I had to do was go online and look up each and every disease possible for each fruit tree I had and sometimes its too late to cure it or even treat it... are you pruning your trees? thats another topic you need to address...and how old are your trees?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

o h my goodness, I didn't know I had to spray something while they are dormant! bah! I was trying to go organic and just use things like Surround. the trees I've had for 3 years now, so this is the first year frutiting.

Yes, I do pruning. the local orchard gave me a guide that he uses for pruning. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Dormant oil sprays are organic:

https://jamiemcintosh.suite101.com/dormant-oil-in-the-organic-garden-a43665

it is quite possible to have organically grown orchard, but it does take some care / watchfulness/ work.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”