Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

ants

Our ants are on steroids and totally out of control. I have to do something. After a day in the garden they ride us back in the house. I have tried cinnamon and it is useless. There are entirely too many colonies to deal with using boiling water. I need a cure/kill that can be broadcast. Diatomacious earth is useless.

Can anybody suggest the least dangerous but effective ant killer. I am way beyond caring about being organic with these creatures. These are not the big red fire ants. They are fairly small but their bite is no different from the big ones. We are close to making this our last year gardening because of these devils. Constant bites are not worth it. Well a commercial ant killer in the garden make us sick.

We are considering Sevin dust but are looking for the most effective killer.

Please help.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I can use a broadcast killer in the yard and it's effective. I use my Scots cart to spread it. The problem is mainly;y in the garden. We can hardly go out and tend it. They don't seem to do any damage but we need space suits and have to wash everything before it comes in the house.

I know that non-organic gardeners use Sevin. The label says it kills ants. I'm looking for something that I can use in the garden.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:Our ants are on steroids and totally out of control. I have to do something. After a day in the garden they ride us back in the house. I have tried cinnamon and it is useless. There are entirely too many colonies to deal with using boiling water. I need a cure/kill that can be broadcast. Diatomacious earth is useless.

Can anybody suggest the least dangerous but effective ant killer. I am way beyond caring about being organic with these creatures. These are not the big red fire ants. They are fairly small but their bite is no different from the big ones. We are close to making this our last year gardening because of these devils. Constant bites are not worth it. Well a commercial ant killer in the garden make us sick.

We are considering Sevin dust but are looking for the most effective killer.

Please help.
Hmmm...you may have a tough time getting a good answer in the Organic forum.

Good luck on taking care of your ant problem. I have relatives in South Carolina and am very familiar with the buggers down there!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I am willing to use a non organic solution. I just want the least harmful to my food solution.

We may very well be abandoning gardening for good if this keeps up. I'm really sick of being eaten by these guys.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Thank you so much Marlingardener. I will call Ken tomorrow.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”