dtlove129

July in May

This weather is killer. We haven't had rain in probably like 3 weeks and our best chances are early next week and they keep decreasing in percentage. I bet my water bill will be as much as my car payment!

How's everyone else doing out there? I mean everything still looks good because I water pretty hard a couple of times a week with that drip system I put in and keep the flowers around the house alive too. I don't think I'm going to have much luck with my cauliflower. Got it out late and it started making heads early and most of them are already bolting. Tomatoes, Corn, Squashes, Beans, Peppers, etc are looking great. I also think I'm going to have a 1000 pounds of potatoes this year haha.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Not so hot here at 5000 ft elev. I haven't even put my nursery stock in the garden yet. Two storms coming this way. I will wait until they are out of here to see if its going to freeze again as they leave.

We have irrigation water that comes from a reservoir, canal, and pipeline. It is delivered to me under pressure, gravity fed. Our yearly assessment is quite managable. We are sure blessed to have all the water we need without breaking the bank.

Early crops are looking good. Still planting some things. Corn, cukes, melons.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your weather is coming my way. Temps here are predicted to go steadily up for the next few days until we hit 95 on Sun! AUGUST in May!! We had July back in March. And yes rain barrels are empty already (150 gal) and no likely rain in the 10 day forecast. Definitely killer! I'll be spending Memorial day watering...

Seasonable for me would be a lovely 78. 95 if we hit that will be 4 degrees ABOVE the record for the date.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Sounds rough for you guys right now - hope things turn for the better!

We've had rain the last couple days, and there are thunderstorms in the forecast for the foreseeable future. We're stuck in a pattern that's bringing in Atlantic air, which always leaves us vulnerable to showers and storms. The saving grace is when we get storms in the evening but we're generally clear during the day - the plants get sun and plenty of moisture all in the course of 24 hours.

Of course, you can have too much of a good thing, so I don't really want to get drenching downpours every day. I'd hate to start the season off with fungus issues!

dtlove129

rainbowgardener wrote:Your weather is coming my way. Temps here are predicted to go steadily up for the next few days until we hit 95 on Sun! AUGUST in May!! We had July back in March. And yes rain barrels are empty already (150 gal) and no likely rain in the 10 day forecast. Definitely killer! I'll be spending Memorial day watering...

Seasonable for me would be a lovely 78. 95 if we hit that will be 4 degrees ABOVE the record for the date.
Yeah Rainbow we are actually right on pace with eachother. The high temps are coming this weekend. We have been pleasant the last few days. Sunday it was hot and then what I thought was a storm blowing in just passed us by and dropped the temps by 20 degrees. I was watering and quit because I thought we were going to get rain. We had a few big drops and that was it, but it did cool us down this week. After today we start gradually climbing to 100 degrees on Sunday. I'm just hoping they are correct about the middle of next week, because right now m-20%, T-30% and W and Th-60% chance of rain.

I accidentally mowed my yard too short 1.5 weeks ago and haven't had to mow since and it is starting to look rough. I was back home in KY this past weekend seeing my folks, and talked to a farmer from a couple of counties away from home and he said they were 10 inches behind on the year already.

Oh for anyone around the SW area of KY or NW area of TN looking for a cool gardening shop. Deerfield in Elkton, KY. My dad took me there this weekend and man do they have some serious drip irrigation parts, fertilizers, and probably a 1000 different seeds. I know where I'm going for the winner to get my seeds for next year. Because of that place I was able to afford to actually put drip tape in my corn rows so at least I can water them cheaper than with the sprinkler.

cubs204

John,

Some guys had the fire hydrant open in the front yard filling a tank for a pool. I thought very, very hard about running out and grabbing as many barrels as I could find to fill up.

100 degrees in mid/late May coupled with almost no rain is just stupid. The farmers have to be getting a little nervous.

dtlove129

cubs204 wrote:John,

Some guys had the fire hydrant open in the front yard filling a tank for a pool. I thought very, very hard about running out and grabbing as many barrels as I could find to fill up.

100 degrees in mid/late May coupled with almost no rain is just stupid. The farmers have to be getting a little nervous.
Actually come Sun/Mon you may be playing in that fire hydrant! Yeah I feel for the farmers. I can get water to my plants, but these fields full of corn are going to start hurting soon.

mhannum
Cool Member

Yuck... no winter, a warm, dry spring, and now this.

I was going to grumble about how the east coast was going to get into the 90's this weekend, but it looks like other folks have it either worse. This is not shaping up to be a good year for farming or gardeners in various parts of the nation.

MaryDel

We had a record warm march, then a really cool April and May. Many folks here are just putting out their tomatoes and peppers which are normallyut out May 1st.

Could we be suffering from Global Cooling??????

jpaulwhite
Newly Registered

mattie g wrote:Sounds rough for you guys right now - hope things turn for the better!

We've had rain the last couple days, and there are thunderstorms in the forecast for the foreseeable future. We're stuck in a pattern that's bringing in Atlantic air, which always leaves us vulnerable to showers and storms. The saving grace is when we get storms in the evening but we're generally clear during the day - the plants get sun and plenty of moisture all in the course of 24 hours.

Of course, you can have too much of a good thing, so I don't really want to get drenching downpours every day. I'd hate to start the season off with fungus issues!
Hey there! I wish I had my plants in already but I'm still waiting. I'm looking to till tomorrow (If we don't get any rain before then) Sunday, and a final tilling Monday if I think it'll help. Then plant Monday morning.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”