jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If you don't mind my asking, when did you plant yours?
These radishes were planted on March 13. It is unusual for me to plant in March, but we got a warm spell and the ground dried out so I planted.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/- Plant a Garden

joed2323

jal_ut whats the size of your corn patch? do you split the 2 varieties in half in your grow area? or do you plant a little more then the other?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My corn patch is about 80 feet x 45 feet. I actually planted 3 varieties of SE type corn. I planted Incredible and Bodacious earlier and it was up a couple of inches tall when I planted the rest. I planted more Ambrosia than Incredible on the second planting. I am almost wishing I had left a spot for a couple rows about 3 weeks down the road.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/- Plant a Garden

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

About those watermelons. I have been growing them for quite some time now and always select the best melons and save the seed for next year. They actually do quite well in this high elevation, dry, climate with cool nights and brilliant bright daytime sunshine, and short growing season.

[img]http://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/melons_wagon.jpg[/img]

[img]http://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/melon_cut.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I went fishing this morning. This afternoon I worked at weeding the garden. I never get done, it is on-going. I am feeling like its time to put my feet up. I think I will turn the water on the garden this evening. It is starting to look dry.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Tomorrow the local community garden opens, so i'll be putting the rest of my plants in the ground. Woo hoo! :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sure........ just because I watered last night its raining. Whoopee, I don't have to weed today!

MyMrSir1112

I received the seeds yesterday. Today I looked all day but couldn't decide where to plant them. I'll decide in the morning. Thank you so much Jal-ut.

I met Tom Barrett tonight at Chocolate fest, he is challenging Scott Walker for Gov. of Wisconsin in a recall. BIG mess.
4th year

Don't You Think This Outlaw Bits Done Got Out of Hand?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I just planted my tomato and pepper starts out in the garden. I was hard pressed to find enough space. Lettuce and spinach will be coming out soon, but not just yet. Our first farmer's market is on June 6. A lot of spinach and lettuce will go then, along with radishes.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]http://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/radish_12.JPG[/img]

The radishes did well.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Romaine

The Romaine is doing great!

[img]http://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/romaine_lettuce.jpg[/img]

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

PRETTY lettuce!!!!! mine is super tiny. I waited too long to plant my cool weather stuff I think. Oh well, next year!
Sheila, gardening on the zone 4b/5a line.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Corn and Potatoes

[img]http://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/corn_taters.jpg[/img]

This is my early corn. I have more that is just coming up.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

J you must do a lot of canning.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

You go boy!

it gets me excited when other are excited about gardening. I am so thrilled when I hear this, makes me feel better about the way I feel. you just keep the pictures coming, never tire of looking at them.
I love this! - There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Pic June 6, 2012

[img]http://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/garden_6_6_2012.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]http://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/garden_june_4.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Have a great day!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]http://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/Chey_garden.jpg[/img]

My helper checking out the wimpy tomato plants.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I had a space where I took out some raspberries, so I put in some more corn. It is close to the trees, but on the sunny side. Hope it will do OK. As I take out the early things I have been planting more potatoes, and will make another planting of peas.

dtlove129

How in the heck do you get those onions to stand vertical so well? Mine like to flop.
John
2nd year gardner

luvthesnapper

Gardening like a boss.

How loose do you keep the soil your toms are in? I see she is standing nearby, and not sinking. Wondering if it was the same approximate density, right on top of the toms.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

How in the heck do you get those onions to stand vertical so well? Mine like to flop.
I think "Flop" is a function of time. These will flop too. Oh, BTW that row of onions is Egyptian onions. They do tend to stand better than other varieties.

How loose do you keep the soil your toms are in? I see she is standing nearby, and not sinking. Wondering if it was the same approximate density, right on top of the toms.
My soil is a silty loam about 20% clay. It does tend to compact over time and with traffic. The area was tilled a couple of weeks before planting the tomatoes. It will have no more loosening this season. I will do a shallow hoeing to get the weeds. Yes, I do walk on my garden. No, it doesn't hurt the plants nor their roots. Mechanical actions to loosen the soil after planting will do more damage to the roots than anything. Roots have an amazing ability to penetrate dense soils.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”