CatNippy81

Things tunring yellow

The leaves on my plants are turning yellow. Sugar Snap peas, watermelon, tomato. The squash plants are crazy healthy though and have true leaves growing along with their cotyledons. The soil is dry and crumbly for about the first half inch or so but below that is it dark and moist, not muddy. Its been pretty warm so I have been watering about every day. Try to do it in the mornings. I have used miracle grow spray thing attached to my hose. The watermelon has its cotyledons and they are also turning yellow and the true leaves are yellow on the just the edges. The sugar snaps have round round leaves but not sure if they are cotyledons, but they are yellowing as well. The stems seem fine.

Not sure what else to do.
Zone 5b

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I would also back off the water. I only water every day if its really hot out and my plants are showing signs of wilting. Some of my plants are planted in areas that drain very fast and get dry easily - so these I will water more regularly. I also would nix the Miracle Grow. I usually use some sort of organic fertilizer like fish emulsion or this seaweed/bat guano stuff that I found. Sometimes I will use a powder fertilizer like Jobes.

TheSilverSurvivor

Plants will naturally wilt on a hot day, which is why I mentioned letting them go until they wilt out of direct sunlight. When they wilt on a hot day this doesn't mean they need water, it's simple their way of protecting themselves of over-heating. Wild plants do it too. But if your plants don't stand up again after it cools down, they're thirsty.

CatNippy81

So I am told they were too dry and I am not watering the right way. So I let the water run in the furrows and do not even bother spraying on top of the plants. So I did that and the next day my pea plants were standing upright.
Zone 5b

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”