Tintedwinter

Garden experiment

I started some seeds for fun and they actually sprouted, which was cool. My backyard is completely barren, a wasteland. Nothing but compacted dirt with no nutrients. I'm wondering, can I dig holes and place good soil within? Or does the whole yard have to be done? I'm asking due to lack of funds.

[img]https://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/herrhauffen/2012-05-16_09-46-30_520.jpg[/img]

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

You can dig holes and add nutrients/compost etc. You don't have to do the whole yard. But I wouldn't expect t he best growing plants either but it will work. Just keep building the soil over time. In some spots I have that are nothing but hard clay I was digging holes and putting kitchen scraps right into the holes. I would take some compost I had and add it to the area as well. Slowly but surely the soil will be built up and be pretty nice. I also put in some azomite and organic fertilizer (granules) but only at the time I am gonna plant something. You can add sand too if you wanna loosen up the soil.

Tintedwinter

Well the back mostly IS sand unfortunately. Just compacted. The top layer is sand for about 4"s and then dirt. How big should the holes be? I don't expect a perfect harvest due to my lack of experience and the situation but it'd still be fun to gain some more knowledge. Would a row or some kind be better?

jnunez918

I say a small raised bed is the way to go. My yard is mostly clay and rock. I love my raised beds.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

jnunez918 wrote:I say a small raised bed is the way to go. My yard is mostly clay and rock. I love my raised beds.

Same here I have 3 different gardens and my raised beds always outperform the other 2 gardens that are larger standard gardens. They are much smaller but I have always planted things closer in the rasied beds and they have done very well.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I'm wondering, can I dig holes and place good soil within? Or does the whole yard have to be done? I'm asking due to lack of funds.
Yes, dig some holes and plant your plants. I wouldn't worry a bit about the fertility. Dig down to the dirt beneath and mix it a bit with the top sandy soil and plant. Water will be very important. Do you have water you can put on them? A good watering right after planting is absolutely necessary. A mulch of grass clippings or leaves is good, after planting, if you have any of those things around.

A raised bed can be a project for when funds are more available.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Do your thing and after you get your plants in the ground mulch the living heck out of it. I prefer beds 3' by 20' for ease of reaching everything from one side or the other. As the mulch breaks down it will turn that hard cruddy soil into some of the best growing medium you could get! It may take a couple of years but you will see definite improvements.

greenstubbs

What alot of your replies have been are from people that don't really know So. Cal's climate and terrain, except maybe Punks.Sorry folks, but you have no idea the climate he's dealing with!! I'm in Riv-side for the airshow this weekend and had forgotten how barren, rocky, and what a dislolante wasteland this area really is, now I know why I really live No. Cal so much, I digress.
You say you have sand, fine, but how rocky is it as well, what other kinda trash is in the soil? How's the rest of the area you want to use? What are you planting? Looks like I see some cucks?? It's gettin really hot down here, they should have gone into the ground a couple months ago to really get going good. It's almost at the point now that your going to have to basically flood that area everyday to keep those plants from suffering major heat stress and dehydration to take. If you plant those young-uns, I would place some kind of sun shade over them to keep the stress down, otherwise your toast for this years growing season. Good Luck

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Strangely I planted cukes and melons back in april and they didn't do much, just now it seems like they are starting to grow a little. I was beginning to think they were planted too early. I hear people talking about how cukes and melons grow really fast, not with me. I am not sure what is going on but it is upsetting.

luvthesnapper

You're on the west coast, so I'd get a bag of Azomite, and some bags of compost. Leafgro organic compost is $3.00 a 50 lb. bag here. Dig holes, get rid of the old dirt, and fill in with your new soil.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”