nes
Green Thumb

Flower Rhubarb (Q:2)

Does flowering Rhubarb normally smell?

My whole yard smells very sweetly of rhubarb today and I'm trying to figure out if one of my neighbours is baking and I need to go for a visit... or if it's just my plants :D.

It's really lovely actually!
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

cubs204

My mouth just watered thinking of rhubarb pie.....

As to your question, I have no idea :D

RickRS

cubs204 wrote:My mouth just watered thinking of rhubarb pie.....
One of those things us Floridians can't understand cause we can't grow the stuff down here. I've alway wonder what it taste like cause people up north talk about it all the time...

cubs204

RickRS wrote:
cubs204 wrote:My mouth just watered thinking of rhubarb pie.....
One of those things us Floridians can't understand cause we can't grow the stuff down here. I've alway wonder what it taste like cause people up north talk about it all the time...
Think sour celery. I actually like to just eat it raw with a little salt. My mom had a huge rhubarb plant when I was little and I use to walk out there every night, pick a stalk, wash it off and sit down with a salt shaker.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Its OK, you're not out much. Every recipe I ever saw for rhubarb anything had strawberries in it. Actually strawberries can stand alone and no use ruining them by adding rhubarb. Just make a strawberry pie and love it!
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

nes
Green Thumb

I've been trying to think of what it tastes like...

Sort of like a less tart but more sour currant, which tastes like a really really tart raspberry?

So it sort of, kinda of, a little bit tastes like a sour raspberry. Kinda.

Personally I think you're really missing out on something :) it adds a really nice tartness to the aforementioned strawberry pie, that makes it even better!

I'm sure there are some other uses for it too :lol:.

I don't think it was my rhubarb making that smell, as it hasn't since, so I think I missed out on some pie :(
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

nes
Green Thumb

Oh, and now that I have pictures.
This is the rhubarb patch:
(I clipped out most of the flowers and left about 1/3)

[img]https://www.boothboysbarn.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/IMG_2179-1024x768.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.boothboysbarn.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/IMG_2180-1024x768.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

nes, you better get after that pie.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Nice patch you must get a ton from it. It taste tart if raw but when cooked with sugar it is wonderful and strawberry rhubarb pie is delicious; my wife makes it so good I will have to stay married just so I can eat more pie.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”