fasteddie33
Newly Registered

Is it safe to use plant soil for vegtables??

Hello all,I'm a newbie here,so I'm sure this question has been asked before, but here it goes..
I used "Miracle Grow" potting soil for flowers..Will my veggies be safe to eat??..I noticed ther are little white pellets all throughout it and what looks like little chunks of manure??!!
Like I said,I'm very new to gardening and couldnt find anything on the bag that said what it could be used for..
I have a nice variety of onions,carrots,cucumbers and radishes starting to grow from seeds,but just wanted to make sure it was safe!!
Thanks alot for any help!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Perfectly safe. The white pellets are perlite. It's a volcanic rock that has been heated to make it expand. It is added to promote drainage and keep the soil light and fluffy. There is no manure in Miracle Grow, those are probably peat moss bits.

TheSilverSurvivor

Miracle Grow soils typically contain fertilizers, if so, check the packaging for the NPK ratios present in the soil. Carrots and onions do not like a lot of nitrogen. Feeding plants that are growing in fortified soil can easily burn them with too much nitrogen and cause other related problems. I recently wrote an article and touched on plant family nutritional needs and NPK ratios.

https://thesilversurvivor.blogspot.com/2012/04/organic-gardening-for-beginners.html

Good Growing

mscratch

oh yes, definitely be careful of soils that contain fertilizer especially in smaller garden areas because as mentioned it will burn them up.. or get all leaf growth with no production depending on what is planted..

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

About the fertilizer thing, I really doubt that any of the prepared soils you may buy will be so hot as to burn anything you may want to plant. Most of those soils are made from sawdust, peat, and perlite. All of which are devoid of plant nutrition. If there was no fertilizer added, you will certainly be disappointed with the results. The people who package the stuff want you to have a good growing experience. It will have the right amount of fertilizer added.

I would not add any additional fertilizer until about 30 days down the road, then a little Miracle Grow as per directions on the package can't hurt a thing. Have a great garden!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

TheSilverSurvivor, I read your article to which you linked. Very Good!

Now back to soil. Soil is a word that refers to that thin but very valuable coating found on the planet Earth. It is this thin coating that supports the growth of plants. Soils come in a variety of configurations, but basically soil contains: clay, silt, sand, water, organic matter, chemicals, air, and a host of living organisms. Different soils have varying amounts of these things. Clay (frowned upon by many gardeners) is high in trace minerals. Silt is particles in size between clay and sand.

Many minerals are present in soil and the plants that grow there need those minerals. The minerals most often in short supply are Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium. (NPK) In nature, nothing is taken away and the plants grow and fall to the ground to be decomposed to enrich the soil. Lightning fixes atmospheric nitrogen which comes down with the rain. The soil takes care of itself in a natural way. However when we take away from the soil by hauling crops off, it can become depleted. Hence the use of fertilizers to replace what is taken away.

Now take the so called packaged "soil": This is mostly a medium to anchor roots. As I mentioned earlier the components of such soil hold very few plant nutrients. Yes, I feel it is good to feed such soil. If you can get some topsoil from somewhere to add to your mix you will be bringing in many trace minerals that may otherwise be lacking.

I recently mixed up some soil for potting up some nursery plants. I used 60% bagged potting mix, 20% garden soil, 10% sand and 10% composted chicken manure. The potting soil contained time release fertilizer. The plants are looking great in this mix. I didn't add any additional fertilizer. A similar mix could be great for a raised bed.

I try to haul as much or more organic matter back onto the garden plot as I take off each season. In this way I hope to keep the fertility up.

Thinking about making a raised bed? What are you going to put in it for soil? For most of us, I am sure, cost is important. Buying bagged potting soil in that amount is out of the question. It is possible to get real top soil for a starter. Ask around at nurseries and sand/gravel companies. A bale of peat is good to lighten it up a bit and some fine sand is also good to add. Compost is also excellent, but as an amendment, not as the main ingredient. Dig into your existing soil under the bed and mix that with whatever you add. Hey, that may be the best soil around? In any event remember that plant roots go deep, so do not put any barrier under the bed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”