veggielover2012

Sugar Snap Peas drooping!

So I have been doing some container gardening. I planted two sugar snap peas a couple of months ago and I made a trellis out of bamboo. They are nearly to the top of the trellis and are roughly 24-30 inches tall.

Two days ago the snap peas started to droop all of a sudden. It hasn't really been all that hot here. Maybe topped out in the late 70's. I watered them deeply with a little bit of fertilizer, but they haven't perked back up again.

I have them in 5 gallon container with holes at the bottom for drainage and it drains well. Any help would be appreciated. They are sitting on our porch and get roughly 8-10 hours of sunlight daily.

CatNippy81

Mine are too. They were just transplanted and were standing nicely before I stuck them in the ground. They had been outside for a few weeks before I stuck them in the ground. Not sure what is going on with them. I got some superthrive. I hope that works.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Are they getting too much direct, hot sun? A shade cover may help.

applestar
Mod

VL -- In containers, their roots don't stay as cool as when in the ground. That may be part of the problem, 70°s (measured in shade) could be as hot as 90°s in the sun. It might help to surround the bucket with other container plants to help shade it.

CN -- it's hard to say without more info.

CatNippy81

applestar wrote:VL -- In containers, their roots don't stay as cool as when in the ground. That may be part of the problem, 70°s (measured in shade) could be as hot as 90°s in the sun. It might help to surround the bucket with other container plants to help shade it.

CN -- it's hard to say without more info.
I am pretty sure they just got shocked a bit. I was using coconut coir and that stuff and not very stable. So when I tried to transplant it the roots got jostled around too much.

They seem to be doing better already.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Mine were drooping too but it had gotten really hot and they needed more water. Now that it's cooler and the soil is staying moist they are much happier

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”