albucsfan
Cool Member

Fire ants!!!!!

Normally I don't really sweat ants in the garden, but for some reason, this year I have fire ants moving in :evil: . It's not just that fire ant stings suck a lot but Little Princess is out there all the time... Any one know a good way to get rid of them without hurting anything else?! Any help would be appreciated, already starting to miss heading out there barefoot!!!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've had some success with pouring boiling water over the nest. Just prior to pouring the water over the nest, dig it up a bit with a shovel to expose the nest below ground level and hopefully you will kill the queen.

Oh, and I'm not talking about a small pot of water, I"m talking about at least a couple gallons of the stuff at a time.

Duets

Yes, the boiling water should do the job. [& Hopefully getting the Queen Ant]. Ugh, I feel your pain, I had fire ants in my yard about 2 years ago, OUCH-Y.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Only good reason I can find for living in Ohio its to cold in the winter for fire ants.

My brother lives in FL and fights them in his garden all the time he swears by this stuff

https://www.yardlover.com/bayer-advanced-fire-ant-control-16-oz?utm_campaign=bayerfireant&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”