Jeremy brua

Mold on jiffy pot?

I have noticed some fuzzy white mold growing on the outside of my pots. Is this an issue? If so I have some copper sufate, would it be ok to spray them?
[img]https://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b458/jeremybrua/2012-05-14212047.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I can't offer advice on the copper sulfate, but Jiffy pots and any other pots made of peat will usually have a mold problem. The peat moss they're made out of holds water too long, which encourages the growth of molds.

My personal preference is small plastic pots, which I reuse year after year. I handle mine carefully, and have had them for several decades now.

Plastic water cups work well, as do recycled plastic yogurt containers. Just remember to put lots of holes in the bottom so the soil drains well.

Avoid the Jiffy pots and the peat pellet types of things. Your seedlings will do much better. IMO, anyway. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What Kisal said. The mold on the pots is not a problem, by itself. I wouldn't bother spraying it. The problem is what causes the mold, that the peat holds moisture too much, for too long and then when it finally does dry out sucks all the moisture away from the plant. Spraying doesn't change any of that.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have tried peat pots and peat pellets, with no real satisfaction. I joined the plastic pot crowd. I use 9 oz. Solo cups and potting soil. This has worked out well for me and the cups are re-usable. Just have to punch a hole in the bottom for drainage.

I have never known that type of mold on those peat pots to be a problem. When you plant your plants out, break the bottom off the pot. Roots are slow to penetrate the peat pot. Have a great garden.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”